Vin number question

-
CA cars got the C.A.P package and no 64-5 273 driver side exhaust pipe supports (I think that was correct? ) The Detroit plant got the rust belt production without C.A.P. Maybe Hawaii didnt get the C.A.P. so no LA plant cars? "LA" plant was actually in City of Commerce, a city within LA county and a Ford assembly plant was right across the street. Its a high rise office building now
If you mean the supports for the exhaust manifolds they had the support brackets in 1965 for sure but not sure about 1964.

All cars made for Europe came from Hamtramck.
That makes sense as that is probably the nearest plant to Europe. It's not even close to being the nearest plant to Hawaii. As Pishta mentioned, a likely reason is the C.A.P. issue. There probably weren't enough non C.A.P. cars being shipped west from Los Angeles to warrant stocking the parts to build them.

I have an idea that all foreign orders would have been built at Hamtramck because it would have made shipping easier from 1 plant. My 63 was actually ordered in Saudi Arabia and picked up in Orlando Florida and it was built at Hamtramck.

The broadcast sheet has both the VIN and the body stamp numbers, otherwise no way to prove the VIN belongs to that car.

Alan
That’s not quite true that the only way to prove that the VIN belongs to the car is through the broadcast sheet. In the case of the earlier cars the IBM card can be sourced thru FCA Historical (or what ever they’re calling themselves now). It will list both the SO number and the VIN number the same as what’s listed on the broadcast sheet.

That’s not quite true that the only way to prove that the VIN belongs to the car is through the broadcast sheet. In the case of the earlier cars the IBM card can be sourced thru FCA Historical (or what ever they’re calling themselves now). It will list both the SO number and the VIN number the same as what’s listed on the broadcast sheet.
Maybe I miss worded it but the SO number is part of the body stamping (at least in 67) and on both the data tag and broadcast sheet. Is that the case in 64/65? I don't know.

Alan

Yes, the SO number is stamped into the radiator core support and in the fender tag. The VIN is not. It's only on the VIN tag and broadcast sheet.

Yes, the SO number is stamped into the radiator core support and in the fender tag. The VIN is not. It's only on the VIN tag and broadcast sheet.
Negative on the VIN only being the broadcast sheet. It also appears on the IBM card. The IBM card also lists the SO number. You match the SO number to the card and VIN plate number to the card the same way that you would with what’s on the broadcast sheet. This only works if you have a copy of the IBM card just as it would in only work in your case if you had the broadcast sheet. The advantage in my way is that if you didn’t have the broadcast sheet you could get FMC Historical to mail you a copy of the card on file but once your broadcast is gone it’s most likely gone forever.

I was referring to what was actually on or in the car. Sure, if you can get a copy of the IBM card (not always an option), or if you have the original window sticker, those will have the VIN also.

Last edited:
The window sticker and title won't have the S.O. number on them however, so, there's no way to verify anything that way. The best way to get fender tag info if it's missing, is to get a copy of the IBM card.

-
Back