Vin pad location 68 340

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Instead of discussing it in a sale thread I thought I would ask here. Front of the block, drivers side deck surface or above the pan rail? Photos or it didn't happen.

If there were any "vin" numbers on this engine they should be located on the rear lip of the block.
Highlighted in the blue area. This number is the one that matches the trim tag. Not the vin tag.
I borrowed the picture, sorry.

20220303_125217-1.jpg

6-19-67 block, front of #1 bank and rear by bellhousing. No machined pad by the pan rail.

20161202_161948.jpg

20160921_160651.jpg

20160921_160624.jpg

68 numbers were stamped on the bell housing rail drivers side. No milled pad stamped straight on the cast iron...

68 VIN block stamping.JPG

edit.

whoops, saw that it was 68 specific and i posted 70. NM

Ive seen the numbers stamped on the top of the block and automatic transmission where they meet. It’s the sequence number and it matches the numbers stamped on the body, radiator support and under trunk gasket seal on the rail. You need the build sheet to tie it to the vin#. It both may be on the fender tag, don’t recall correctly.

Here you go. Partial VIN on 340 and 727 on a late build '68 Barracuda. 8 for 1968, B for Hamtramck, six digit sequential number.

You can stand on the same spot and see the VIN tag on the dash and the engine and trans numbers.

My '68 Road Runner, also a late build, had the same location for the VIN stampings.

IMG_20240303_221516569~2.jpg

In 68 the vin is on the dash and fender tag. Body sequence number everywhere else. IIRC.

In 68 the vin is on the dash and fender tag. Body sequence number everywhere else. IIRC.
I struggled using "VIN" in the title because that information changed depending on what year. Thanks for the info.

Thinking about it, the vin ties the car to what it “is” through the fender tag. Nothing ties it to the body sequence number except paper work. Build sheet? I’m not sure what is on the warranty certicard. I will look at mine. Never had an issue, but always thought it was going to be difficult to explain to my local DMV guy why the number on the dash isn’t the same the number on the core support.

Thinking about it, the vin ties the car to what it “is” through the fender tag. Nothing ties it to the body sequence number except paper work. Build sheet? I’m not sure what is on the warranty certicard. I will look at mine. Never had an issue, but always thought it was going to be difficult to explain to my local DMV guy why the number on the dash isn’t the same the number on the core support.
I worked at a restoration shop and the Secretary of State Police came in to do an audit and found several dashes off cars to be done. They were going to confiscate one out of a 68 because they could not find the VIN numbers on the body that was sitting next to it. I had to explain to them about the VIN and SO numbers, they had NO idea! After I did, the cop in charge asked me if I could teach a class to his other deputies so they knew about cars before 1969...

-
Back