VIN Plate attachment to the door jamb

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
I have to take a car to the local sheriff 's office to get a inspection and paperwork to file for a bonded title. Being they are young, not car guys and probably have never seen a 65 Plymouth before, I am anticipating having problems when they see there are no rivets holding on the VIN plate. Now you and I know Mopar did not start riveting these on till 1966. But convincing these guys and and all the computer has to say about it is another problem. Where can I find a Mopar or factory document or other writings by Mopar that states that these were either welded or glued on at the factory and the holes are only for locating the plate to the pillar, to prove my case. I have seen the emails on the 62-65 allpar site, and will be taking them along, but what else is out there that will help me make this as simple as possible. Any help would be appreciated. I do have a bill of sell, and the fender tag is there.

Thanks, Mike

In the restoration of my 1965 Dartcharger at page 120 or so (look at April/May this year) I have mentioned this. You might use that if you'd like. I would not had my car judged at all if the tag wasn't there in the correct way.

I have put 10 year of searching info and found only what is mentioned at allpar.com.

Hope everything goes well for you. Let me know if I can be of any help.

I have to take a car to the local sheriff 's office to get a inspection and paperwork to file for a bonded title. Being they are young, not car guys and probably have never seen a 65 Plymouth before, I am anticipating having problems when they see there are no rivets holding on the VIN plate. Now you and I know Mopar did not start riveting these on till 1966. But convincing these guys and and all the computer has to say about it is another problem. Where can I find a Mopar or factory document or other writings by Mopar that states that these were either welded or glued on at the factory and the holes are only for locating the plate to the pillar, to prove my case. I have seen the emails on the 62-65 allpar site, and will be taking them along, but what else is out there that will help me make this as simple as possible. Any help would be appreciated. I do have a bill of sell, and the fender tag is there.

Thanks, Mike

Thanks, that was the article I was referring to. I have it saved and printed just in case. I am looking for anything else to stack the deck as they say.

In the restoration of my 1965 Dartcharger at page 120 or so (look at April/May this year) I have mentioned this. You might use that if you'd like. I would not had my car judged at all if the tag wasn't there in the correct way.

I have put 10 year of searching info and found only what is mentioned at allpar.com.

Hope everything goes well for you. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks, I will use anything and everything at my disposal. It will probably be no problem, but you never know. The thought of having my car seized because somebody didn't know how things were done in those days is what I want to avoid. Too many people rely on inaccurate and incomplete info thes days. If it comes out of a computer it must be true is what I want to avoid.

You could take along some photos of vin plates on other '65 cars from several other sources to show them the consistency. I can provide photos of my four '64 plates if you are interested.

You could take along some photos of vin plates on other '65 cars from several other sources to show them the consistency. I can provide photos of my four '64 plates if you are interested.

That would be great. I thought about that and have several of my own, but others would be helpful to prove I didn't change them all. LOL!!!

I had a 65 Dart and went thru all kinds of crap due to the inspectors not knowing about the vin tag . I almost got arrested because one of the inspectors was going to remove the tag .There was one cool guy there who told me to find 2 places on the car where the #s matched . Ended up useing the sequents number from the radiator support and the rear deck . It was a nightmare .Took 3 months to register it

I had a 65 Dart and went thru all kinds of crap due to the inspectors not knowing about the vin tag . I almost got arrested because one of the inspectors was going to remove the tag .There was one cool guy there who told me to find 2 places on the car where the #s matched . Ended up useing the sequents number from the radiator support and the rear deck . It was a nightmare .Took 3 months to register it

Piece of cake when I registered my '67 Dart. In N.H. you bring it to a garage that does state inspections for VIN verification. Owner of the shop I went to was an old car guy himself so he knew the deal. In & out in 5 minutes, off to town hall then the DMV and I was all set same afternoon.

Piece of cake when I registered my '67 Dart. In N.H. you bring it to a garage that does state inspections for VIN verification. Owner of the shop I went to was an old car guy himself so he knew the deal. In & out in 5 minutes, off to town hall then the DMV and I was all set same afternoon.

Yes...'66 and later are easier because they are riveted to the car with special rivets. The OP is referring to '65-back as they were glued on, not riveted. My former '65 Valiant 'vert was glued.

good luck! I have had this same trouble with the 65 and earlier mopars.the ones I had were spot welded on and these ignorant people just couldn't believe that.i think there were other makes that welded them on too.

i think the web will be your friend tho.

mike bee

I just had mine inspected from a move to Georgia. The form the officer used had boxes labeled for rivets, screws, and something else I didn't take note of.

After writing down the VIN from the door jam, he asked "was that riveted"? I said yes it was, he took a quick glance and checked the box. Mine still has the original plate.

Good luck...hope all goes well.

-
Back