Vintage Air or Similar Setup

-
@j par I was talking about you saying this. The vintage Air units I put in my customers cars all had a adaptation to the factory levers. I would take off the analog cables and put electrical sensors on the factory controls and then once everything set up there's a procedure to calibrate The high and low reaches of each lever...

I've seen your posts in the universal AC setup (which I wish I saw b4 I bought my classic auto air.) I want to adapt a more modern electric switch setup, just not sure how to do the levers for mode.

@j par I was talking about you saying this. The vintage Air units I put in my customers cars all had a adaptation to the factory levers. I would take off the analog cables and put electrical sensors on the factory controls and then once everything set up there's a procedure to calibrate The high and low reaches of each lever...

I've seen your posts in the universal AC setup (which I wish I saw b4 I bought my classic auto air.) I want to adapt a more modern electric switch setup, just not sure how to do the levers for mode.
I'm sure you could buy those electronic controllers separate from vintage Air and they do have perimeters which you'd probably may need the brain for as well but then those parameters controls run servos which you'd probably need those to operate something else to operate something else it sounds quite involved for not just hiding a simple switch...

I'm sure you could buy those electronic controllers separate from vintage Air and they do have perimeters which you'd probably may need the brain for as well but then those parameters controls run servos which you'd probably need those to operate something else to operate something else it sounds quite involved for not just hiding a simple switch...

So I have the direct fit Classic Auto Air direct fit kit. I want to swap my control to something like this. Universal Slim Line AC Controller | Classic Auto Air - Air Conditioning & Heating for 70’s & Older Cars & Trucks.

With this water valve Air Conditioning Electronic Water Valve | Classic Auto Air - Air Conditioning & Heating for 70’s & Older Cars & Trucks.

I'm sure the wiring is simple enough. I just not sure what to do about the servo to control the mode.

I bought a factory ac salvaged out of a dart for my barracuda. I only paid a couple hundred bucks for all of it, so it was dirt cheap. I spent a few hundred more on parts. Works great, but probably got about $3000 of sweat equity installing it if I paid myself $30 an hour.

If I do it again, I think I will do what jpar did.

My car is an original factory A/C car and now runs the unit from Classic Auto Air. It works really well. It reuses all the stock components in the dash area.
404F2CBA-6599-4580-B6F0-4371CEB217B3.jpeg

My car is an original factory A/C car and now runs the unit from Classic Auto Air. It works really well. It reuses all the stock components in the dash area.
View attachment 1715963068
When I installed the Classic Air kit in my 68 Barracuda I added a simple toggle switch to the line sending power to the compressor clutch. With that I can have outside air coming into the cabin from the defrost or the dash vents without the AC compressor activated.
And I agree I like having the stock dash controls. The modifications to the OE levers was not a troublesome task.
All that is being done is the action is modified to control a couple of micro switches.

When I installed the Classic Air kit in my 68 Barracuda I added a simple toggle switch to the line sending power to the compressor clutch. With that I can have outside air coming into the cabin from the defrost or the dash vents without the AC feature activated.

Aren't the fresh air ducts blocked tho? I know on mine the drivers is. Can't remember on the passenger.

Aren't the fresh air ducts blocked tho? I know on mine the drivers is. Can't remember on the passenger.
The Classic Air system that I installed has the under dash box connected to the passenger side ram air box. The driver side air box is not changed at all, the passenger side is the outside air intake.

The Classic Air system that I installed has the under dash box connected to the passenger side ram air box. The driver side air box is not changed at all, the passenger side is the outside air intake.

Ok, I think attached to the passenger side also. The driver's side tho was for sure blocked off. I remember that from the directions.

I'm fitting Vintage Air GenII to my 1967 Aussie Dodge ute. Custom full width demister vent with side glass vents to work simultaneously. Because the unit has to be offset to the left being in a right hand drive, I've made a custom duct to direct air to the drivers foot well. Controls are mounted into a custom fibreglass fascia styled on the original but to fit Dakota Digital gauges and the Vintage Air quad controller and touch/push button switches. Nothing is fully finished as yet, still a lot of construction to go!

20.jpg

22.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

59.JPG

15.jpg

The customer support is the first thing that I research before I spend a dime...
I called them like once a week for 3 weeks or more to see who would answer the phone and if they would answer all my questions and I was coming up with even dumb questions and he was even giving me advice on how to test the air conditioning in my '98 Dodge truck as well... I would say customer support was excellent. And he said if we're doing a special custom installation which I was he has no problem giving 3 ft of extra hose on the number 6 number 8 number 10 hoses. Anything more than that he needs to charge a little bit for him it was only like two bucks a foot or something...
That switch that you have a picture of is a generic on off three-speed switch... For the five or $600 this entire system cost with free shipping to your door you can spend the extra $30 and buy yourself a fancy switch and graft it in... Or have a remote switch and hide it... If I didn't have my MSD and and timing retard for my nitrous stashed inside my glove box I could have put that in my glove box as well...
The funny part is you can go ahead and buy one of those vintage Air units for 16 or $1,700 and you're still going to have to find something to mount the compressor with and you'll only get half the BTUs and the last one a customer of mine ordered it took 3 months to get the parts.. both my cold master setups were there within a week...
got a link to these units?

thanks, found it. Less than half the price of Vintage air. I like it.

And also comes with the compressor included in the price!
And a pusher fan for the condenser. I've had to put condenser fans on the vintage Air stuff that I put on for customers... The cold Master not only comes with it but has built-in accommodations in the wiring for it as well. If your compressor comes on it throws a signal for the fan to come on as well...

Did you do this or was this something you wanted to do? I have Classic auto Air and I don't care for the factory lever controls. I never could get the mode right.
So wife just
Wife just just told me yesterday to get AC or she wont ride in it LOL it is Oklahoma after all end of May to August is brutal. What unit is that from Vintage air Im going builders and keeing 1000 of my money in my pocket.

-
Back