Vintage commercial-How did we survive the 60's

-

Jim 68cuda

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWDprSdH2xQ"]YouTube - ‪WHAM-O WHEELIE BAR Tv Commercial 1966‬‏[/ame]

Could this bike accessory be sold today?

To stay on topic, you'll see an A-body in te commercial.

no helmets, no elbow pads,no gloves ,,,,,,,,,,,some were not even wearing any shoes!!!!!!!!!! You're right,,,,,,,,,how did we ever survive............lol

I had a Swhinn Sting Ray,and did those wheelie's without that bar. Somehow I surived.

Aw, nuts to that; Wham-O ain't got nothin' on Blamm-O!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP0kWqJJZa4"]YouTube - ‪Log‬‏[/ame]

This song says it all

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AlrFOBmdVI&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - ‪BCtv - Bucky Covington - A Different World - Official Video‬‏[/ame]

notice how none of the kids in the commercial were overweight. i would take those wheelie bars over a video game anyday.

Damn that song pretty much does just about say it all....damn shame what we have allowed ourselves and our children to become......good thing I am the age I am...I dont think I would want to be in the newer generations......I would have to dim down...pathetic!

That was a great music video but also one of the saddest (for me.) I grew up in a place like that, the very same oak trees. The bottoms of my feet were like leather from going barefoot.

A funny thing, the county mosquito control jeeps would come around every week to spray a dense fog that smelled like kerosene. As soon as we heard the sound in the distance (The Fog Man's Coming!) we would jump on our bikes and ride behind it crashing into things. Our Moms would only say 'I'm not sure it's a good idea to be breathing that stuff..' I guess back then people just assumed it wasn't that dangerous. Sadly(?) the county started spraying something invisible, no more Fog Man.

I remember showing off on the old red $36.99 Sears banana bike I saved up for. Popped a wheelie on the street in front of the guys (and maybe a girl or two :)), lost the front wheel and came down on the forks. Of course as a flew over the chopper handlebars I put my arms out to keep my head from hittin the road first. Yes, there was some road rash. Good times.

Grant

I remember showing off on the old red $36.99 Sears banana bike I saved up for. Popped a wheelie on the street in front of the guys (and maybe a girl or two :)), lost the front wheel and came down on the forks. Of course as a flew over the chopper handlebars I put my arms out to keep my head from hittin the road first. Yes, there was some road rash. Good times.

Grant
i can count 3 visible scars on my legs from bike accidents. each time i look at them it brings me back to the fun we had building ramps to do jumps, along with all the other crazy stuff involving bikes.

Mine was a five speed, gearshift on the support bar between my legs, banana seat, butterfly handlebars with a sissie bar. Loved the look of that bike; then I grew up and got a ten speed at age 15.

I had one of these. Had a blast on it. for some reason, everybody wanted my handle bars. Did more wheelies, ramped off more curbs and got a ton of road rash from that bike. It was among many of my things that vanished while I was in the Army.

Attachments

• ketchup and mustard 026.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 403
Take a look at the current issue of Mopar Collectors Guide and see a couple of old photos showing Dick Landy himself doing wheelies on a bike with that wheelie bar on it. Pretty funny stuff as he's being outclassed by a couple of kids (no helmets).
Yeah, it was so much different - and so much better - back then.

the reason we survived the is because we refused to be female reproductive organs(!) and our fathers were there to make sure!!! The PC society of today (all the way from the Government, to media, to the schools) have de-balled society. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Oh, and I rode one of these...
View attachment apple crate.jpg
I jumped more ramps and crashed into more stuff than I can remember. My Mom would go ballistic with "do you know how much your Father paid for that thing!!"..

no helmets, no elbow pads,no gloves ,,,,,,,,,,,some were not even wearing any shoes!!!!!!!!!! You're right,,,,,,,,,how did we ever survive............lol
even got a girl riding a wheelie!!! man, where are the chicks like that now???

I can't remember ever wearing shoes in the summer. Me and my sister use to run around in my grandpa's welding shop with bare feet. lol...No helmets when biking or skating either.

Yep, we survived just fine. I also remember running around barefooted.
The roads so hot, tar would bubble up and we`d pop the bubbles with our toes. I probably could`nt walk across gravel now. LOL
I wanted that 5spd schwinn so bad, but parents could`nt afford them so, my brother and I got the 3spd Spyders. Cool bike none the less. Yes we walked or rode our bikes a mile to go swimming in a creek,"unsupervised" of course. Oh, and those damed steel wheel skate boards, those were road rashers! We built and flown U control air planes, Rockets, etc. Very dangerous to todays standards. Yep we survived just fine. Those were the innocent days, looking back, I had a great childhood. born 1960:thumbup:
I`m the little **** on dads knee:D

Attachments

• Dads last caddi.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 411
Yep, I had a Schwinn Stingray 5 speed fastback, bright green! I think my grandmother prob. bought it for me in about 1966 or 67. It was the BOMB!

-
Back