Vinyl top on a 66 Barracuda question..now answered

-

pbiggs

Reaction score
My original post for help was:

Hi..does anybody know if a vinyl top on a 1966 Barracuda had seams anywhere? A picture of an original vinyl top would be helpful as I want to replace mine but not enough remains of the old top to determine if or where seams were located.
Thanks, Pat

Here's the answer...found a post in 2009 by 66340SEDAN in FABO archives. This very helpful person took some pictures of 66 Barracuda he found in a junkyard. This Barracuda ironically had the rare vinyl top option and the pictures show two seams running front to back.
Kudos to you 66340SEDAN for your help.
For those who may be interested, I have included the post address below.
Great pictures...
Thanks, Pat

www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=62308&highlight=barracuda+vinyl+top

Cool, glad the pictures were helpful!!

I bought that rare trim last year, but I couldn't find the driver side a-pillar trim, it was inside the car but gone now. There was a tree growing between the door and a-pillar on the passenger side so whoever was gonna take it all gave up. I had to cut the tree down, it actually grew around the trim!! I have all the rest of thw teim and a few weeks ago I bought a complete vinyl trim set from a 1966 Valiant. The a-pillar part goes goes farther back and is longer than the Cuda but it can be cut shorter and used on the Cuda.

Anyone know if the vinyl top option is rare on a 1966 Valiant too? I have pics of the Valiant if needed too.

My original post for help was:

Hi..does anybody know if a vinyl top on a 1966 Barracuda had seams anywhere? A picture of an original vinyl top would be helpful as I want to replace mine but not enough remains of the old top to determine if or where seams were located.
Thanks, Pat

Here's the answer...found a post in 2009 by 66340SEDAN in FABO archives. This very helpful person took some pictures of 66 Barracuda he found in a junkyard. This Barracuda ironically had the rare vinyl top option and the pictures show two seams running front to back.
Kudos to you 66340SEDAN for your help.
For those who may be interested, I have included the post address below.
Great pictures...
Thanks, Pat

www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=62308&highlight=barracuda+vinyl+top

Thats nice to have those pictures for reference. What remains of the vinyl top on my 66 Barracuda. The A pilliars has a seam towards the top I will try and add a picture when I get home. You can kind of see it circled in read in the picture below

Attachments

• Picture%201031A.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 123
Here is a close up picture

Attachments

• 1966 Mauve Formula S 008.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 1966 Mauve Formula S 009.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 109
Thanks for your info...my car still has the short cross seam on the A-pillar. What I didn't know was concerning the seams running from the top edge of the windshield back to the chrome strip running across the top. The picture does show these seams.
Thanks again,
pat

One thing I learned to is these cars had a different windshield gasket with a lip on it. I should have more pictures, I will post them up later. I know the material is slightly different than most other vinyl tops too, I know I have a close up pic of it, may even be able to get a sample of it too.

-
Back