Vinyl top options

-

lowbudget

Mopar Man
Reaction score
I have a 1975 Valiant that came with a maroon vinyl top. All the aftermarket ones are white, black or green. I have 3 options:
1. Original Auto interiors will make one up from my sample for +-300.00
2. Order white one from aftermarket supplier and paint/dye with SEM color coat. 115.00 + 45.00 paint and cleaner = 160.00
3. Have rhino liner sprayed on it.
The old top is mostly off and looks great underneath with no rust. I don't know how I would get the double seam with the rhino lining. Has anyone used the vinyl dye? Rhino liner? Let me know what you think. Thanks Mike

leave the top off and paint it white or some other contrasting color. smooth tops look better. If you have to go vinyl I would most likely have one made in the color you want but remember to get a sample from an area that wasn't exposed to the sun and faded.

Years ago I had a pontirag that the previous owner had the vinyl dyed and it didnt hold up to weather at all. I agree with res about going without the vinyl but thats just my personal preference.

It's got to have the vinyl as it's a Brougham LOL. It also sets off the silver. I sent off the best piece for color I could find. There wasn't much there, just the sides when I got it. I haven't talked to anyone local yet. I might have to go to Grand Junction or Salt Lake to find a shop that does vinyl tops. I guess they are a thing of the past. Kinda like me LOL

lol. My pontirag was a grand prix brougham and the vinyl does ad something to some cars. Bottom line is what YOU like. Im putting sidepipes on my Cuda and Im sure 8 out of 10 people will give me crap about it but its the look that I want and like. Good luck with finding someone to do it. You may want to go to a local fabric store like Joanne Fabrics or Hancock if they have those near you. They have names of people that do all kinds of work out of their homes and to be honest wouldnt it be a great story to tell everyone that some little old white haired lady helped you with your A-body build? lol But seriously you might find someone that has way more experience than you could at any auto place. Good luck!

300 to sew 2 straight seams is robery. Keep shoping.
Buy the material and have a local upholstery shop sew it and install it.

They wanted 45.00 per yard just for material. I imagine it would take 5 yards. Hell I have an industrial machine and a mini walker but keeping those seams straight and even would be more than I want to tackle. I've done car seats, bike seats and snowmobile seats but I think this would be best left to the pros. The price is kinda why I was leaning towards the SEM dye. The vinyl grain will be correct also that way. Heck I'd only be out 160.00 and my labor if I didn't like it. I found this post about dye and I might try the dupont dye.http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=31412&highlight=vinyl+top+dye

They wanted 45.00 per yard just for material. I imagine it would take 5 yards. Hell I have an industrial machine and a mini walker but keeping those seams straight and even would be more than I want to tackle. I've done car seats, bike seats and snowmobile seats but I think this would be best left to the pros. The price is kinda why I was leaning towards the SEM dye. The vinyl grain will be correct also that way. Heck I'd only be out 160.00 and my labor if I didn't like it. I found this post about dye and I might try the dupont dye.http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=31412&highlight=vinyl+top+dye

5 yards sounds like a lot but I've forgotten how they measure upholstery material. I used to help an old upholstery guy install tops. He sewed most of his own. On 2 seam tops he would cut the material then lay 2 of the pieces face to face and sew it twice, then sew the other piece of material for the other side. This left 2 'flaps' of material about 1/2" wide on the underside of the top. He then sprayed a little glue on them and folded them over which also helped keep the seam straight. He then installed the top.

I also used to spray on imitation vinyl tops. Dupont used to have a paint they called '1-2-3 vinyl'. You could buy it separately or in a kit form which came with a roll of vinyl tape which you put on the roof to simulate the seams. Then you sprayed a couple coats of the 1-2-3 unreduced to get the texture. Then you would reduce it and spray a couple of coats to seal it. I haven't seen any of this product in years, though.
Dallas

For god sake dont have the rhino liner sprayed on it. It tends to fade with time. I have one in my truck bed that has now turned gray & it was jet black when new!

If you would like to keep it as it once was, then spend the money and get the right color for it, you only go around once.

I suppose spending the money to get the right top will be the best option. Here's the samples. Does it look good to you? It looks good to me considering the fading factor. The original picture is alot clearer I had to compress it to fit it in here.

vinyl top.JPG

I think I'll tell them to stitch it up. They say it will be made from the original patterns. Thanks for the input Mike

I think I'll tell them to stitch it up. They say it will be made from the original patterns. Thanks for the input Mike

low, I think in the long run, you are making the right decision and will be much happier with your choice down the road. Can't wait to see it.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered it. It should be waiting for me at home when I get out of the desert in 3 weeks. I need to redo the filler on the roof seams, sand and prime the rest and install. It will also be new windsheild time.$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sometimes you just have to dig a little deeper than usual, the key to managing the big expenditures is to space them apart so they don`t hurt as much. The end result is well worth it though.

Here's a picture before I pulled what was left of the top off. It's only money. It will be worth it in the end.

DSCF0158.jpg

I know you've already made the decision and a good one, if my experience is typical. My 73 was a factory vinyl top that rusted underneath and was removed. The rust was patched with body filler and coated with a bed liner. It flaked and looked hideous. Took two weeks to put a new roof on. I used to think the vinyl tops looked cool, but when I look at them now, all I see is rust holes underneath.

My car just has a little surface rust. The top was mostly gone. I think our dry climate has a lot to do with the no rust. The new vinyl top with proper care will probably outlast me. I plan on putting down epoxy primer before I put it on. Besides a Brougham has to have a vinyl top to add to the cool factor. Can you say babe magnet? LOL

My Dart had bed liner sprayed on the top and from about 10feet and beyond it looks good. Only when you get up close and point it out to people do they realize it isn't vinyl.

My roomate said my new vinyl top has been delivered. So 8 more days and I'll see it it was worth $304.00. It should be correct pattern, correct color and sewn from the original patterns so we will see.

-
Back