vinyl top or not?

-

hbbuddha

Reaction score
The 74 Dart I bought had, at one point, a white vinyl top. The PO cut the top around the "Special Edition" badge but ripped the rest of it off. Looks like he did a real bad bondo job around some of the seams. The bondo, for the most part, has cracked off.

So this leaves me with a couple options and a couple questions. To replace the vinyl or keep it off. That choice is mine and I like both looks so my decision will be contingent on the answers to my questions.

1) does anybody have a picture of the seam between the rear quarter panel and the hardtop? There's a seam there where it looks like dodge welded the top on. I'm wondering what this looks like painted without bondo?

2) what do you guys do around the window rubbers? There seems to be a space where the vinyl use to be. Do you guys fill this? Is there a thicker rubber that fills in the that space?

Thanks ya'll
Hillbillybuddha

I would put the top back on, I like them :glasses7:

BTW, that "bondo" is probably the factory filler, they did a sloppy job on that seam cause it got covered anyway, regular top would have been smoothed out better.

I contemplated on my 72 Dart for a while (originally vinyl top). I put the vinyl top back on it and haven't regretted it one bit.

Another vote for the vinyl top. Just because that's how it was born and if it isn't
going to be a race car.

To the guys that say no vinyl, what did you do around the windows? There's a gap that needs to be filled. I'd love to see some pictures.

I'd say nay. If it were me I'd leave the trim in place and paint the top the same color the vinyl was.

To answer your questions. First, that seam is where the top is actually soldered on, not welded. They are a point of contingency in just about every A body made. They did a super crappy job on cars that got vinyl because they knew it was gonna be covered up.

That said, it's a dirty job, but those seams MUST have all the solder and filler removed and it must be spotlessly clean when you re weld it and do the finish work. Otherwise, moisture will eat it back out like it is now......and believe me it is, whether you can see it or not. Start digging. You'll see.

Second question. The rear window gasket is different from a vinyl top to a non vinyl top car. The non vinyl top gasket is wider and takes up that extra gap. Either way you go, that top HAS to be fixed right or it will rust through again. They all do it. I promise you over 50% of guys on this board that think their cars are rust free would find rust at those seams if they stripped it.

I have a 74 dart with a white vinyl top, it's been replaced three times and has rust bubbles coming up under it now. The vinyl is coming off and it will get painted white this time and I won't have to worry about it.

Be different...two tone paint. My 71 was a factory red bottom and a white painted top, I had to special order it. I have never seen another.

I have a 74 dart with a white vinyl top, it's been replaced three times and has rust bubbles coming up under it now. The vinyl is coming off and it will get painted white this time and I won't have to worry about it.
Wow 3 times !! Did the same guy do the work on all of the replacement tops ?

Wow 3 times !! Did the same guy do the work on all of the replacement tops ?

Done by differient shops but they were top shops/trim shops this time it goes to a body shop the rust will be removed right and painted white. I think the tutone white with the catch me copper looks good.

The seam on my 75 Scamp was spotwelded and then poorly filled with sort of a flexible bondo from the factory. Don't recall there being any lead though I'm sure there was in earlier models as that was standard going back for a long time. I did the necessary bodywork on the sail panels and then painted the top. I just plain don't like vinyl tops after having and replacing several. The mouldings around the w/s and backlight fit perfectly with no gaps.If you want grief down the road keep the vinyl.
Otherwise paint it and be done with it. I think it looks every bit as good.
Just my opinion.

-
Back