Viper Barracuda

-

dubs--cuda

Reaction score
As promised those pictures are attached. The plan will be to install a 3rd generation Viper V10 Engine in my 68 Barracuda. I know this is going to be a ton of work but I want to do this right. I have all the measurements and weights and know this is do-able and will still be able to drive like I want. I want a fast, good handling car. I want people to say "wow" when it rolls down the street.

I looked at the suspension and it is one of the many things that create clearance issues. Looked at Magnumforce front suspension kits and they lose that chunky K frame and the torsion bars due to the coilovers. That is a lot of space right there. The steering components are also placed in a way that it allows more room for that "big-on-the-bottom" viper engine. All this also helps on the weight on the front end. The battery will be moved to the trunk, making a little more room and saving a little front weight. The radiator mount will be removed and I will hand make one that fits closer to the grill. I will loose the hood latch in favor of pins (more weight and more room).

Weight brings me to my next plan. I plan on doing a full fiberglass "street" front clip with a fiberglass hemi hood. http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/barracud.html If any one knows about the quality of this clip let me know.

If anyone has any ideas or questions for me, feel free. Thanks and can't wait to start seeing progress. More pictures later too. :clock: :clock:

Attachments

• barracuda1.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 753
  • barracuda2.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 745
I wish I had that kind of budget, can't wait to see the progress, o and for my suggestion I think you need twin turbos

Yes the front is a 67 but the fenders are a 68. If interested there is a person sellin 2 front fiberglass fenders that will fit. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=162021
He has them advertised as 69 but the 67-69 are basically the same with only a few minor changes.
Good luck with the build as it looks to be a nice one. Ambitious but nice!!!

Using late B body torsion bars would allow you to slide the front end ahead for better weight distribution and slide the torsion bar crossmember back for possibly easing some transmission clearance issues. If the B body bars are 44" long (I'm guessing) that's another 8 1/2" to divide up between stretching the wheelbase and transmission clearance, and the end hexes are the same as an A body. If you're considering hacking the car up anyway to convert to Ford style suspension, then you probably have the fabrication skills to keep the Mopar torsion bar suspension and add through the floor frame connectors, weld the torsion bar crossmember to them after sectioning the floor pan and sliding the torsion bar crossmember back to where you want it. After doing all that it would be a piece of cake to slide the K frame and upper control arm mounts ahead.
As far as overall engine length, that V10 probably isn't any more than a slant.

That Barracuda sure doesn,t have the 68 frontend on it.:eek:ops:

This was a weird car from the start. It was advertised as a 69 on craigslist and when I got it home I noticed the 68 fenders. Referenced the VIN and it is a 68. The paperwork was a booger but got it straightened out with the state of Texas. Any good resources to show me the difference in 67 68 and 69? Thanks.

I wish I had that kind of budget, can't wait to see the progress, o and for my suggestion I think you need twin turbos

The turbos are in a little higher budget than what I have. All my funds are coming from a lot of hours at the powerhouse. Just happy to have the wifes blessing.

your asking what the differences are between the 67,68,69,,,every thing except the shape of the car it self,,

-
Back