Viper brakes

-
The Viper on 11.75 trick works with the big bearing drum brake knuckles. (1973 or newer knuckles). Simple bolt on setup, nothing confusing about it.
IMG_0332_6x4.jpg

but NOT disc brake spindles?
what b body spindle should i look for?

Hmmm, well okay you are confused! You'll never find a large bearing drum brake knuckle on a B body car.

pauly v.100 -

You want to look for 73-76 a body 10" drum spindles. I don't have the forging number handy, but they are out there. Many junkyards have them. I bought a set from somebody here or on BBD, I can't remember which. If I find the forging bumber, I'll post it here.

AndyF-

Love your stuff! Excellent quality. I have a set of your adapters to put Viper calipers on 11.75" rotors on my Barracuda. One question - where to get hoses? http://www.oilfilterserviceco.com/ is offline. Are they no longer in business?

ok, thanks guys. i'll start looking for those knuckles. i just got the calipers in the mail today, not pretty to look at with scratches in the finish but they'll do the job. i have some time to find more parts now bec i'm going to send the 11.75" adapters back and get the 13" kit.
like they say, if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly! lol

lilcuda - Oil Filter Service Co is still in business, not sure what happened to their website. It was up and running last time I checked it. If you want to buy hoses from them just find their phone number on Google. Or work with a local business that builds brake hoses. Lots of auto parts store have the equipment these days to build custom hoses and pressure check them while you wait.

yup, they're still there, ordered the shorter banjo bolts, flare adapters and hoses from them today. worked with ken,.. nice guy.
they didn't have the 20 degree banjo end hose but they had 30 degree hoses in stock so i got those.
Andy, please let me know if the 30 degree hose ends will cause any problems you might be aware of, thanks.
i also ordered knuckles from wildcat and drilled rotors from egay. i'm staying with the 11.75" rotors for now and maybe upgrade to 13" when theres more money. i still need to buy poly front end rebuild kit and some 1.00 or 1.06
T bars, i haven't decided yet, then theres shocks...geez, its gettin expensive again lol

017_1_1.JPG

Andy - thanks for the info about OFSCO.

Pauly - nice ride! I'd like to see more pictures and hear more details about your car.

this thread has been down for awhile, I dident end up doing the viper brakes

the valiant is an ex drag car project that i'm very slowly turning into a turner.
360/380 crate motor, beefed up 904, 8.75 w/ 4.56 gears. i put mp frame connectors on it as well as engine swap. i crapped my pants trying to stop it a couple times, even with 75 dart discs. thats why i'm changing brakes.

025_1_4.JPG

015_1_1.JPG

So has anyone else done this? Anyone know where to get the hoses? anyone know the piston sizes for the viper calipers?

So has anyone else done this? Anyone know where to get the hoses? anyone know the piston sizes for the viper calipers?

Oil Filter Service Co in Oregon makes the hoses. Last I checked, their website was down. The URL is in one of the posts in this thread. I've been busy and lazy and have not done this swap yet, but I have everything but the hoses.

Oh how about the actual (physical) weight. and do they fit under 15" wheels?

THey do fit under most 15" wheels. You'll have to check yours. I'd have to weigh a caliper. They're not light, I can tell you that.

the piston sizes are different front and back. fronts are bigger if i remember correctly. i'll see if i can find the paper work and let you know where i got my hoses, its been awhile now since i did the swap and this old brain forgets.

the piston sizes are different front and back. fronts are bigger if i remember correctly. i'll see if i can find the paper work and let you know where i got my hoses, its been awhile now since i did the swap and this old brain forgets.

Yes, Normally the bigger one is in the front. If you can find the paperwork that would be awesome.

What wheel bearing is necessary im assuming the 11.75 inch rotor bearings?

Yes, go to Rock Auto and look for mid to late 70's Cordoba wheel bearings. They should be the same part # as 73 - 76 a body drum brake wheel bearings. I think when you click on the part #, it brings up a list of what vehicles in fits. Either that or there is an "Info" link for the part, which may have that info. Can't remember exactly.

I just started tearing my front end apart to do this swap. Hopefully, it goes smoothly. I've never heard of anybody doing it on an early a body.

Thanks lilcuda, I just picked up the adapter and a set of calipers off flebay. Its finally starting to get warmish out so I'm trying to line up a few projects for the Scamp, I'm getting the itch.
Good luck with the Cuda let us know how it goes

Anyone know where to get some 11.75 slider caliper adapters? I should call Andy and see what he says is best.

-
Back