Viper brakes

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Im gonna be going over to Viper brakes with the conversion kit and everything. Is there a place I should know of to get the brake lines. They have Goodridge, but I dont know a place that sells the lines.

Is that the kit from www.arengineering.com ??

You could email arengineering and ask for the lenght and spec hose to use. There's a good chance there is something of the shelf that would work.

Are you going to use the 11.75 mopar rotor or go with is 13" disk kit?

A local hydraulic supply company usually could make you up the braided brake line. http://www.ormebrothers.com/index.html is local here and are really good.

11.75 becasue im going to run 15x7 wheels in the front and the website saidthey should fit, also that is the kit

11.75 becasue im going to run 15x7 wheels in the front and the website saidthey should fit, also that is the kit

Did you get a good deal on calipers?? I just googled and they are pretty expensive used.

I was ok at Willow Springs with my 11.75 and stock calipers. They did get a little spongy

But I know Tim Herren ran his old 71 Dart up there with that setup and when he got more experiance and went faster, then he would get brake fade.

I was talking to the Willwood sales tech this weekend at the racetrack(crew on same team). He said that an advantage to the bigger calipers is the larger pad surface area. This allows the pads to last longer. Never thought of it that way before. I have heard some drivers and cars will eat up a set of pads in an 8 hour track day.

so is this worth it? or just stick with Stock disc?

If you'd like to take your car out on a road course a few times or more a year, yes. Or really drive/race hard on some back mountain roads. But the race track is where you are trying to slow down from 90-100 mph repeatedly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72p5vVwjRkk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w38ruXZiDHs&feature=related

You can see the brake lights after the long straight away on the front stretch in this video I found. They are hitting 100+ mph there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=503qWvIp6OI&feature=related

If not just buy some 11.75 caliper adapters and the pin or slider calipers to go with them. Sould be under $75 for adapters ?? And calipers from the parts store.

The car will be set to go straight mostly and be driven on the street, I dont really think I will be going on the Road course with the duster. So maybe i should save my money? I was gonna get them becasue they are lighter and stop really well

so i shouldent wast the money?

The car will be set to go straight mostly and be driven on the street, I dont really think I will be going on the Road course with the duster. So maybe i should save my money? I was gonna get them becasue they are lighter and stop really well

so i shouldent wast the money?

But more important you can go faster on the street with the money saved. I'm guessing an extra $400+ to do that conversion over caliper adapters and calipers. The Viper calipers are really beefy. Not a ton of weight saving.

so just use the money to go faster and keep the brakes i have is what your saying? cuz the viper calipers are only 150 from a guy i know

O well Ill just save the cash for something else since i have Disc already

so just use the money to go faster and keep the brakes i have is what your saying? cuz the viper calipers are only 150 from a guy i know

$150 is a good deal. Then you have $180 for the kit, and like $80 for the hoses and adapters. So that's $410. I don't think you are going feel $410 worth any difference on the street in braking performance and you're not going to feel the weight. Especially if you are working this car on any sort of budget. It doesn't sound like the car is setup for handling.

It sounds like you allready have a complete 11.75 setup. That's a good setup. Everthing over the counter, no brake pad spacers...

I can start to feel the difference on the track on after a few run sessions. Never on the street, and I drive hard on the brakes and have an agressive handling setup to do so.

I'd like to go Viper brakes, but I would skip the 11.75 rotors and use the calipers for the 13" rotor upgrade. Haven't found a good deal on calipers.

You can save that weight with one of arengineering's one wire alternator conversions. Which will also get rid of dimming light at idle. And/or the aluminum master adapter to save weight. Also the alunumium masters have screw tops that don't seep all over our engine compartment like the old style masters do.

You can save that weight with one of arengineering's one wire alternator conversions. Which will also get rid of dimming light at idle.

I like this kit. Will it work on a 70 dart? and will the stock rally guage still work if you use this kit?

You can save that weight with one of arengineering's one wire alternator conversions. Which will also get rid of dimming light at idle.

I like this kit. Will it work on a 70 dart? and will the stock rally guage still work if you use this kit?

There is a www.arengineering.com kit for 70 up smallblocks with aluminum water pumps. There are instructions and links to help you with the conversion.

I talked to the guy who owns the Hi Tech Products that makes the led tailight conversions at the local cruise in on Friday. He converted to a one wire modern alternator. He showed me his 71 Cuda Rallye insturment cluster with the car at idle in gear. Bright as if his was running down the highway. And those E-body rallye gauges are terrible because they are front lit.

And he hasn't switched over his insturment cluster lights to LED's yet.

But he did ask me to borrow one of my spare parts A-body rally gauge setups to see if he could get an improvement from LED lights. LED's are directional and the A-body rallye gauges are sort of side lit. He just wanted to test things out first.

autoxcuda,I was just over on there site it looks like a good kit that will work well and save a few pounds too. Very nice. The one thing I don't see though is if the amp guage will still work or not? I have seen other fixes for this problem but neever did them becouse the stock amp guage would not work with them any more.

autoxcuda,I was just over on there site it looks like a good kit that will work well and save a few pounds too. Very nice. The one thing I don't see though is if the amp guage will still work or not? I have seen other fixes for this problem but neever did them becouse the stock amp guage would not work with them any more.

I have been told not to run the amp gauge. It's the weak link. I know other fixes bypass the amp gauge. If you email arengineering, andy will help you.

You could have redline or someone convert your rallye amp gauge to a volt gauge with the same lettering. Volt gauge is a better deal. I've seen redline do it with 68-70 charger amp gauges and it is slick. Wouldn't really notice it unless someone told you to look for it.

Im gonna be going over to Viper brakes with the conversion kit and everything. Is there a place I should know of to get the brake lines. They have Goodridge, but I dont know a place that sells the lines.

I'm going to be putting Viper calipers on my 66 Barracuda. I've got almost everything I need.

Try this place for hoses. They are a Goodridge dealer: http://www.oilfilterserviceco.com/

Anybody know where I can get a cheap pair of those viper calipers? I talked to my buddy @ the local dealer & I sure won't pay what they want. I can get Wilwood calipers for about 1/8 of the price,but they don't have weather seals & I drive my car year round.

I bought mine from a guy on this forum http://classifieds.viperclub.org/showcat.php?cat=46. I paid $300 shipped for a perfect pair of low mileage 97 Viper calipers. Lots of Viper guys upgrade their brakes, so you shouldn't have a problem finding a pair there. I watched and bidded on quite a few auctions on eBay, but the prices kept getting out of control.

The early Viper calipers are a nice upgrade if you can find them cheap. Over the counter they are super expensive. The 13 inch kit is much better than the 11.75 kit but it also costs a lot more. Here is a shot of the Viper on 11.75 setup:
IMG_0337_6x4.jpg

nice!!!
i just got some calipers from ebay, same as yours, $295 for the pair, im stoked now!! wasn't sure how long i might have to look for another set so i jumped on them.

i'm not convinced that those wilwoods, tho very nice and light, will put up with hard driving, just my opinion

so now im confused, now i see the ar engineering d/b conversion caliper brackets are only for drum brakespindles ???

The Viper on 11.75 trick works with the big bearing drum brake knuckles. (1973 or newer knuckles). Simple bolt on setup, nothing confusing about it.
IMG_0332_6x4.jpg

-
Back