Viper engine and transmission in my 1974 Dart Swinger

-
That thing shouldn't be any longer than a slant six.

Chuck

I used to have the measurements of the Viper V10 but can't locate them to give a comparison. It is pretty long but doable. Like I said, for me it was a weight distribution decision and not wanting to take up a huge chunk of the interior to get a good distribution.

I think the physical bolting in is the easy part. Are you getting the engine/powertrain and body harnesses and modules? I think that's the only way it will get in and running without some serious ECM creativity with an aftermarket company. I think it would be wicked cool either way but I'd want all the factory wiring intact (even to the gages if possible) so I could re-wire the car and parts.

I think the physical bolting in is the easy part. Are you getting the engine/powertrain and body harnesses and modules? I think that's the only way it will get in and running without some serious ECM creativity with an aftermarket company. I think it would be wicked cool either way but I'd want all the factory wiring intact (even to the gages if possible) so I could re-wire the car and parts.
Yes, the wiring harness/supporting computer/modules are included but not the gauges. You brought up a good point to think about with the gauges. Thanks for the input. There's a lot to consider here, but it would be sick when done. I'm getting a lot of great feedback from members/friends. Keep the opinions coming. This swap would be the hardest I've done.

Subscribing.... I'd love to see this happen! Heck, I'd be up for heading out there to lend a hand during install.

Do you know how to eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

Tear off the front clip.
Cut out the firewall.
Put in the engine.
Build a new firewall.
Wire everything up.
Put the front clip back on.

Now, doesn't that sound easy?

Lol.

It should be doable as the slat 6 is longer that the viper motor as Mike Morris the former Vikings long snapper has a Jeep Wrangler that he had a viper motor put in and it fit with a little modding. It's fast as hell also

someone else asked for these dimensions a while ago

the listed dimensions of the viper engine and the dodge 440

top to bottom: viper: 26", 440: 30.5"
front to rear: viper: 34.5", 440: 29"
width across valve covers: viper: 23", 440: 20.5"

I was thinking about this for my 300

I am really putting a lot of thought into this build as well. i just brought my 68 cuda home and it looks so wide open in the engine bay with the 318. Besides, a 500hp build on a 340 and converting my car to a 4 speed would probably run me $6k and a viper $7k-$8k. I think it's worth the extra. As far as the extra weight, I'm going to do fiberglass in the front and a hotchkis suspension to make it handle. I mean, it's rare enough to see a cuda running through my city, let alone a cuda with a viper motor. Do it. I'm going to.
I'll definitely keep up with this thread. P.s. I already have the wife's approval.

Any updates.

I've decided to hold off on this project for a little while:(. It still just may get done. I've started a new project with my 1966 Plymouth Belvedere II 440. It's almost done. MMG

Attachments

• Belvedere Hemi Scoop 2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 391
  • Hagerty Photo 2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 350
Hey guys, been working a lot at the power plant and trying to save monry for that Viper engine. I decided that I'm 100% in to build this car with the 3rd gen 500hp with the 6 speed. I've got a lot of the number and dimensions together and decided that without even cutting into anything I will need to get the engine bought (7,000 at least) and the new suspension($2200-$4400), so bare with me on the wait for updates. I want this car to handle and I want it to be fast. I will post some pics of the car in a new thread and title it with Viper barracuda so anyone interested can keep an eye out. Thanks and looking forward to starting!

Hey guys, been working a lot at the power plant and trying to save monry for that Viper engine. I decided that I'm 100% in to build this car with the 3rd gen 500hp with the 6 speed. I've got a lot of the number and dimensions together and decided that without even cutting into anything I will need to get the engine bought (7,000 at least) and the new suspension($2200-$4400), so bare with me on the wait for updates. I want this car to handle and I want it to be fast. I will post some pics of the car in a new thread and title it with Viper barracuda so anyone interested can keep an eye out. Thanks and looking forward to starting!

Hello Dubs, Keep us posted on your build. This is one build I will do myself sometime in the future. Good Luck to you brother. MMG

-
Back