Vitour Galaxy R1 GT Tires

-

1badfish67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard of this manufacturer and if the tires are any good? Looking for matched set of white letter tires for my 67 Barracuda in 235/60 R14 for rear and 195/70 R14 or 205/70 R14 for fronts. Couldn't find the 195 or 205 in Cooper Cobras or BFG radial T/A. At least not so far. Cooper folks told me they didn't make anything in the 70 R14 smaller than a 215. No word back from BFG folks yet.

Vitour shows to make all three sizes. These tires also show to have an "H" speed rating vs S on BFG and T on the Cooper for these sizes.

Just curious if anyone is using or has used them in the past. It looks like they may be MIC.

Thanks

I like them. A lot. I have a set on my 64 Valiant, Vixen. Had them on there a couple or so years and they wear and ride great.

Largest tire manufacturer in China and 6th largest in the world. I have had enough of Chinese trailer tires, never ran a car tire from there but would rather wouldn't if you value your car...

All tires sold in the American car market must meet DOT standards. Cheap Chinese tires aren’t dangerous if they are properly installed and maintained. They usually have some compromise over a more expensive brand name tire, like more road noise or they will wear out a little faster.

Higher speed and load ratings amount to a more robust tire overall. When I buy cheap tires I like to go up in load rating and look for at least an H speed rating. This is my personal preference after a few years in the tire industry and performance automotive world.

I don't give a rip roarin chit where they're made. They're good tires. I like mine.

MidnightSwinger, I was also concerned about the DOT approval. Appreciate it. Looking at Mastercraft (Avenger) and Dean (Stinger) as well, if they have the size I want. Vitour is on my list as well. This will mostly be a peppy street car for me and the wife to run around.

Thanks to all for the information.

MidnightSwinger, I was also concerned about the DOT approval. Appreciate it. Looking at Mastercraft (Avenger) and Dean (Stinger) as well, if they have the size I want. Vitour is on my list as well. This will mostly be a peppy street car for me and the wife to run around.

Thanks to all for the information.
I can tell you from experience, the Galaxy Vitour is way ahead of the Mastercraft.

I went 13.80ish on a set of 235/60/14 Vitours in my mostly stock 68 GTS. They definitely do better off the line aired down with a hard burnout. Those tires now live on my 383/4-speed '66 Coronet and they have been excellent.

20200525_185952.jpg

Good luck, I will continue to buy American made brands no matter what. If they don't have the size tire I need then I will get another size. Never heard of Vitour in the midwest, but I know what to avoid now, thanks!

Actual user reviews are what you want:

I have these tires on the rear of my van, 255/60-15 which are V-rated. Mounted on a set of 15x8 Keystone Classics. Bought them directly from here:

https://www.performanceplustire.com/app/tires-for-sale/vitour-tires

Tires arrived in two days, i figured they would come from California but there are various regional tire distributor companies that handle the brand, mine came from Chattanooga, TN IIRC

Tires came wrapped with blue Vitour logo plastic wrap. Kinda cool and no blemishes or dirt on the tires. They were clean.

All the molded markings required by law present on sidewalls, clean molding lines, nice tread, very modern and the main reason I bought them was for the very subtle grooving on the edges (transition from tread to sidewall) All other tire brands with these sizes have way too blocky looking transitions, makes them look like a truck tire!

Balanced with minimal weight, they hold air, I run them at about 30-32 psi but they are no Mickey Thompson ET street drag radial, which I no longer waste on the street. (Put those on other rims for track use only)
I can light them up with my setup easily, like most pure street tires. They squeal pretty good though. Only drive in the dry and with normal civilized driving they are fine. No issues. As to road noise my setup is loud and I wouldn’t hear anything from the tires to begin with.

Only nitpicking issue I can see is how they do the white lettering. The height of the lettering as it rises from the sidewall is taller than other brands I’ve seen. And, with the set I received it looks like the lettering was sanded down to height, some irregularities in consistent height. Took some scrubbing to remove the blue coating from the white as well.

I run the black sidewalls out, painted the letters black so I don’t see white letter on the inside.

The tires are fine.

41B2E913-28A6-4B9F-896C-A2BFA596D266.jpeg

Last edited:
In what ways, compounds, design, treadwear, loading etc.
In my own observed experience. A friend and I got tires about the same time. He bought Mastercraft from Summit and I got the Vitours from Performance Plus Tire online. his are already worn over half way and mine have over 3/4 tread. I don't keep spread sheets and scientific data analysis on the comparison, just what I see. He wishes he'd bought the Vitours now. What more do you want? A rubber sample?

Actual user reviews are what you want:

I have these tires on the rear of my van, 255/60-15 which are V-rated. Mounted on a set of 15x8 Keystone Classics. Bought them directly from here:

https://www.performanceplustire.com/app/tires-for-sale/vitour-tires

Tires arrived in two days, i figured they would come from California but there are various regional tire distributor companies that handle the brand, mine came from Chattanooga, TN IIRC

Tires came wrapped with blue Vitour logo plastic wrap. Kinda cool and no blemishes or dirt on the tires. They were clean.

All the molded markings required by law present on sidewalls, clean molding lines, nice tread, very modern and the main reason I bought them was for the very subtle grooving on the edges (transition from tread to sidewall) All other tire brands with these sizes have way too blocky looking transitions, makes them look like a truck tire!

Balanced with minimal weight, they hold air, I run them at about 30-32 psi but they are no Mickey Thompson ET street drag radial, which I no longer waste on the street. (Put those on other rims for track use only)
I can light them up with my setup easily, like most pure street tires. They squeal pretty good though. Only drive in the dry and with normal civilized driving they are fine. No issues. As to road noise my setup is loud and I wouldn’t hear anything from the tires to begin with.

Only nitpicking issue I can see is how they do the white lettering. The height of the lettering as it rises from the sidewall is taller than other brands I’ve seen. And, with the set I received it looks like the lettering was sanded down to height, some irregularities in consistent height. Took some scrubbing to remove the blue coating from the white as well.

I run the black sidewalls out, painted the letters black so I don’t see white letter on the inside.

The tires are fine.

View attachment 1716118500
I didn't know you had them too! I got mine from the same outlet. I like um so far and will be getting them again when I upgrade to 14s.

I didn't know you had them too! I got mine from the same outlet. I like um so far and will be getting them again when I upgrade to 14s.
I like mine, they are a good looking tire IMO. I ran Cooper Cobras before. Just don’t care for the blocky tread and blocky transitions as I mentioned. These Vitours are the only tires in these sizes with a more modern style tread as well.

Largest tire manufacturer in China and 6th largest in the world. I have had enough of Chinese trailer tires, never ran a car tire from there but would rather wouldn't if you value your car...

It's funny they mention BF Goodrich as "good" tires to buy, when most Radial T/As are made in plants in India. Not that there's anything wrong with that, since as mentioned tires sold here must be DOT approved. The main tires to look out for are most of what WalMart sells. A lot of them are all cheaper lines that you cannot get anywhere else. WalMart has them made specially on the cheap so they can hero out for the "little guy" and make it appear they are doing the world a favor, when in fact, they are going the other way with that.

I like mine, they are a good looking tire IMO. I ran Cooper Cobras before. Just don’t care for the blocky tread and blocky transitions as I mentioned. These Vitours are the only tires in these sizes with a more modern style tread as well.
I just KNEW when I got mine, they would be cheap tires and I would regret buying them. I couldn't be more wrong.

In my own observed experience. A friend and I got tires about the same time. He bought Mastercraft from Summit and I got the Vitours from Performance Plus Tire online. his are already worn over half way and mine have over 3/4 tread. I don't keep spread sheets and scientific data analysis on the comparison, just what I see. He wishes he'd bought the Vitours now. What more do you want? A rubber sample?
No need for a rubber sample. Thought you might have some additional data regarding design and possibly materials used in their tires such as kevlar etc vs what others use that would set them apart. My experience is that driving habits and tire maintenance play a large role in tire life/wear and performance.

I run Cooper Discoverer AT3's on my F-250 6.7D. They advertise as a 60k mile tire. I get over 70k out of them and the last set I took off 2 months ago had almost 6/32 on them when I replaced them.

If the Vitour's perform well and last a decent amount of time given personal driving habits that's a plus. RatRod in your's and a few other folks experience that seems to be the case. I probably wouldn't take them to the drag strip but sounds like they could be a viable option for driving the roads and streets. Again, I appreciate all of the input. I just got to make a decision.

-
Back