voltage fluctations

-

ram250098

69 Barracuda
Reaction score
The car was running great until I got stuck in some traffic. The temp gauge went up to 230 and I noticed my volt gauge dropped to 12 volts, even when I reved the engine the gauge stayed at 12 volts. The only thing running was my electric fan. After a bit of time she started charging again 14.5. I could drive awhile then it would drop to 12 again. It seems to do this at any time. I assume the VR is the problem..grounds are very good.
Thanks
AL

What year/ model we workin' on?

Might be as simple as worn/ stuck/ mucky brushes in the alternator

Well it is on my 73 340 Charger. And I have read a "crap" load of info before posting as not to waste anyones time but most of what I have read is from you 67Dart273. You come very highly recommended LOL
I find it odd that I first noticed it went the temp gauge stated it's climb into the 230s.
I have like most had Mopars that drop voltage when lights come on, fans etc but give it some gas and up goes the volts... lights brighter yada yada but in this case they didn't, which leads me to belive the VR is bad. It seems to charge and discharge as it pleases. But you the man 67dart what do you recommend?
Thanks
Al

Intermittent failures can be difficult.

I would start by pulling the brushes out and examining them, not a very big job. Do the "wiggle test" on the alternator field connectors and the regulator. The regulator power, the blue lead to one field connector all are the same junction as the ignition feed, so that is PROBABLY OK

If the connections seem OK and the brushes look OK, I'd gamble on a regulator. As you may know, I don't like "throwing parts" at stuff, but a deal like this begas a little bit of throwing the dice.

Thanks very much I figured as much. I will try the wiggle test..LOL. The VR is not really a pricey item, and at least if not the problem I will have a spare *g*.
Thanks for the tip.
AL

Mine did that crap no matter what until I bypasses the bulkhead connector.

Bulkhead connector is bypassed. That is the first thing I do when I get a new toy.
Kim choke wire??? hummmm...can this happen?? and how? I have not heard of that before.
AL

I tried two VR and still have the same problem. The one I had charges around 14.5 at high idle. Swapped it out with two differnt ones and the charging is around 13+ volts at high idle but as soon as the fan comes on at ldle it drops to 12 and if I put the lights on it goes down to 11 volts. When I rev the engine it stays the same, it will not come up.
I am at a loss.
Thanks
AL

You may have multiple problems. I'm on an "alternate computer" and have connection problems

The alternator may not be outputting it's full potential due to a problem (bad diode, etc)

The alternator may not be large enough capacity

The charge wire may not be large enough or have voltage drop on the way to the battery

Start by comparing your battery voltage to the voltage at the output stud of the alternator. Easy way to do this is once again, the "voltage drop" method. Just put one probe on the battery positive, the other probe on the output stud, and turn on "stuff" to heavily load the charging system. Depending on how large the wire is form alternator to battery, I would not expect to read OVER 1/2 volt, the LESS the better

If that's OK, check FOR SURE the belt is good and tight and not slipping

Then alternately monitor three things under heavy load

1 Make sure you are getting good battery voltage to the blue field connection of the alternator

2 Unhook the green field wire and clip that exposed alternator field terminal to ground Monitor that under heavy charge, the blue field is "close to" same as battery IE so that you are getting full field current

3 Load the system, fans, lights, etc, and see if it keeps up. If not, and if the voltage drop from the alternator output stud tot he battery is not excessive, you simply either don't have a large enough alternator, or the one you have has a problem

I think your my new best friend LOL. I will give those a try. I did run a 4 gauge wire from the alt to the battery and also a good 4 gauge ground so that should not be the issue. I do have another alt but that is another story LOL.
It came as a spare with a car I picked up, thing looks brand new. I installed in my car and it over charged into the 16s. I had it tested and they said it was good. Put the old one back on..a year later I tried it on a different car and same thing 16 volts at high idle. Took it to another rebuilder for a test and they said it was ok nothing wrong with it..so it is sitting in a box ion the garage..funny thing is it might work in this car LOL.
Thanks very much 67Dart273
AL

-
Back