Voltage leak?

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
Hello there, put new battery in car about month ago, old one was, well old. All was well went to Mopars in the Park here (Farmington, MN) both days. Dart then sat for about 3 weeks, went to start and wouldn't even turn over. Charged over night next day was fine. Had new battery tested was told it's ok but not great battery, not much in reserve he said for sitting for periods of time. (It was cheap, my bad) I've been testing battery morning and nite, if I leaved hooked up dropping from 13 to 12.8 then later that day to 12.6. If I take off neg, I don't lose any amps and actually gain some back over nite. Could it be battery or do I have a elec draw when car is off some where? And if so what's best way to test for elec draw? I can't believe there's a draw there's nothing on it, starter switch maybe? I'll check back later, thanks Mark

Draws like dome lamp left on, faulting brake lamp switch holding those lamps on are easier to find. The hard one to find is inside the alternator.
A simple test lamp between battery cable and battery post should show a draw.

Yup.

Disconnect the battery ground clamp and put a 12v test lamp in there. If you can't see it, get it in the dark, shade, etc and look for a glow. Start checking and unhooking "stuff," and fuses.

The alternator is not hard to find, LOL, just unhook the main wire at the alternator stud and see if the light goes out.

If you don't see a light, double check with a multimeter on current (amps.) Be CAREFUL to check with a lamp first, because if the draw is too much, it can pop the fuse in the meter. Be sure to start with the current setting on the meter on it's highest range and work down.

Don't forget the lighter, glove box/ trunk/ underhood lights, etc. If you have a newer radio with a "memory" wire, (keep alive) suspect that, as well as any radio/ stereo/ amp that is wired "hot."

-
Back