Voltage Limiter

-

Don K

Reaction score
I have my dash apart on my 65 Barracuda, I'm replacing wiring harness ect. While the instrument cluster is out I thought I would replace the voltage limiter. They are all over the place in price, but Classic Industries has one for $10.99. However it states it's for 66-74. It looks the same as others that are listed for 64-74. Is there any reason it won't work?
Thanks for the help.

does it look like the one in your dash now?

what is wrong with the one in there now?

some dashes have in integrated IVR, typically in the gas gauge. a lot more work to bypass it.

does it look like the one in your dash now?

what is wrong with the one in there now?

some dashes have in integrated IVR, typically in the gas gauge. a lot more work to bypass it.
It does look like the one that is in it. The car was not running when I got it, so I don't know if it works. But I thought as long as everything is apart I would replace it. And there were some melted wires under the dash amp meter wire mostly.

Power up the cluster on the bench and check the operation of the gauges and lights. If everything works then the limiter is working.

Power up the cluster on the bench and check the operation of the gauges and lights. If everything works then the limiter is working.
I could do that. But it is 56 years old just wondering if I should replace it now.
So do you think the one I'm looking at will work.

There is a company selling an IVR, RTE limiter - rte

The specs look good.

Keep in mind that if an IVR fails the wrong way your looking at 200.00 in new guages.

RTE is good. I would not consider an 60's technology electro-mechanical limiter for any reason

If these solid state IVRs fail, are the gauges protected? To me, that seems like the answer to the question of whether to replace if it still works
What I was getting to was mechanical IVRs can fail with the contacts closed meaning 12v to the guages and fried guages.

I recall seeing the solidstate have a fail safe designed in.

What I was getting to was mechanical IVRs can fail with the contacts closed meaning 12v to the guages and fried guages.

I recall seeing the solidstate have a fail safe designed in.

I ordered the cheapie from Classic, though I think the one in my 66 Cuda is working. Dash is out, anyway. The test light shows constant power to the limiter on one post and pulsing on the other, but no gauges are working. I forgot to check actual voltage before I pulled the dash.
Pins are loose and pulled out so I will try and get everything fixed and will use the solid state limiter if Classic doesn't take too long to ship.

Here's what we did to my buddy Larry's '64 Baracuda. It had the 5 volt regulator inside of the fuel gauge and it seemed like the points that regulate the voltage were worn. So I purchased a 5 volt regulator I.C. from Amazon (they actually came in a 5 piece bag for $6.00) and installed as shown in the picture. So far there has not been any issues. Maybe this will help. By the way, I slid a small piece of heat shrink tubing over the old regulator points to keep it from interfering with the proper operation of the new regulator.
img_20190627_213934645-jpg.jpg
img_20190627_213924981-2000x1500-jpg.jpg
img_20190627_213403194-1500x2000-jpg.jpg

A 1965 Barracuda had the voltage limiter inside the fuel gage, which continued in cars with a tachometer (Rally dask, all Barracudas?) until ~1973. Yours should be the same as in my 1964 Valiant (photo) and 1965 Dart. I bought an adjustable limiter on ebay ~$30 years ago. Last pass, on my 1965 Newport, I got a generic 5 V regulator off Amazon which looked almost identical for $6. I should have paid $10 for an adjustable one. The voltage adjustment gives you one "knob" to tweak your temp and fuel level readings, but you need 3 more adjustments to get both correct at zero and full-scale. I've posted what I did (search).

circuit board w new Vreg & 20 ohm sender bypass.JPG

A 1965 Barracuda had the voltage limiter inside the fuel gage, which continued in cars with a tachometer (Rally dask, all Barracudas?) until ~1973. Yours should be the same as in my 1964 Valiant (photo) and 1965 Dart. I bought an adjustable limiter on ebay ~$30 years ago. Last pass, on my 1965 Newport, I got a generic 5 V regulator off Amazon which looked almost identical for $6. I should have paid $10 for an adjustable one. The voltage adjustment gives you one "knob" to tweak your temp and fuel level readings, but you need 3 more adjustments to get both correct at zero and full-scale. I've posted what I did (search).

View attachment 1715730940
Why did you keep the condenser? It is only there to quiet the mechanical limiter on the radio, right?

-
Back