Voltage Regulator Problem??

-
Did you get your relay to where it will actuate? That's the first step. You do that by hooking terminal 85 on the relay to ground, battery negative. And terminal 86 to 12 volts from ignition switch. Then it will click. Nothing else can happen until you get that relay to click. Get a voltmeter or test light to confirm you are getting 12 volts to terminal 86

I am a little confused to ignition/field terminal I understand the relay installation only goes to the ignition side. Thanks
Yours is an early style, so not sure on that. On the later style, 70 and up, relay 12 volts out goes to ignition terminal on regulator, and field. You may want to consider going to the later dual field alternator with solid state regulator. They work better, put out more amps, and just better all around. It really is fairly simple once you understand what each connection/wire does.

It is up and running with relay functioning, bad mechanic, bad ground and relay overcame!! Thanks to all for your help, especially superchargeddrt , who let me call him and 67Dart273. It still has a little bounce at volt meter, but the lights are a lot better. It is putting out 14 volts, should it drop back to 12 volts at sometime? It is a brand new battery and I don't want to overcharge it? Thanks again to everyone!!!

It is up and running with relay functioning, bad mechanic, bad ground and relay overcame!! Thanks to all for your help, especially superchargeddrt , who let me call him and 67Dart273. It still has a little bounce at volt meter, but the lights are a lot better. It is putting out 14 volts, should it drop back to 12 volts at sometime? It is a brand new battery and I don't want to overcharge it? Thanks again to everyone!!!
Mine always stays at 14 volts now too, after installing the relay. I don't think it hurts anything. Just keeps the battery up fully charged

Allright Tom, Good Job! Happy to help. Sorry I've been a little out of touch the last couple of days, we had a death in the family so I've been quite busy.

Finally found out where the problem was. I was under the dash working , and noticed the lights flickering when I moved the main feed wire. Looks like the PO bypassed the Amp meter, and tied both wire ends to the positive terminal there. But he didn't tighten the nut! I could see light sparks when the wires were moved around. So I tightened the nut, now everything is working better than ever! Yay! Charging at 14.5 volts now. No flickering of lights.

I am a little confused to ignition/field terminal I understand the relay installation only goes to the ignition side. Thanks
I have a dual field alternator and the regulator is the rectanglular chrome one, not the small black box. Regulator has an I terminal, and a field terminal. So 12 V from the ignition switch goes to the I terminal, and also to 1 side of the Alt field. Other side of the regulator goes directly to the Alt field connection.

Since I wasn't getting 12 V thru the ignition switch to the regulator, I just ran 12 V directly from the battery positive to the I terminal on the reg. I did this thru a relay, so when the ignition is turned off it will open the relay and stop the flow of current.

Since I wasn't getting 12 V thru the ignition switch to the regulator, I just ran 12 V directly from the battery positive to the I terminal on the reg. I did this thru a relay, so when the ignition is turned off it will open the relay and stop the flow of current.
That's exactly what I did. Problem solved, no flickering lights and charges at 14.6 volts (I set it at that with an adjustable regulator).

I have the relay in mine, it still flickers somewhat at idle is this normal? Thanks

I have the relay in mine, it still flickers somewhat at idle is this normal? Thanks
The flickering typically is because of dirty contacts in the ignition switch. Make sure you are feeding the relay from a battery source such as the starter relay stud. The relay coil can be triggered off of the ignition switch. Did you happen to see the diagram I uploaded here?

Also an adjustable voltage regulator might help as the voltage may be low at idle causing a small fluctuation in the lights. Are they fluctuating when you're driving down the road?

Relay is direct to battery. I will look for your diagram, it has a new ignition switch, the fluctuating goes away with rpm increase. Thanks for reply..

Another question that might be related to this. My gas gauge likes to stick in the empty position, sometimes I pull the headlight switch on and off and it starts working, ever heard of anything like this? Thanks

Another question that might be related to this. My gas gauge likes to stick in the empty position, sometimes I pull the headlight switch on and off and it starts working, ever heard of anything like this? Thanks
Yes, except when he turns on the headlites, the engine starts cranking! No kidding! He has a thread on here.

Still working on this, anymore ideas would be helpful. Thanks to all.

-
Back