Voltage regulator question

-

bruceo2011

Still waiting for Y2K
Reaction score
First off, THANKS to everyone who helped on my ballast resistor question. Now, the same individual who gave me the bum information on ballast resistor with electronic ignition conversion, now tells me that I cannot use the stock points style voltage regulator with the electronic ignition conversion. It's not an issue on my Scamp, but it would on my '65 Valiant. He says I would need an electronic voltage regulator because the points style isn't "fast enough". True or False??

No, I've never changed the voltage regulator after the electronic conversion. Only the ballast resistor.

If you want the best performance from the upgrade you need to change the VR. You can get them now that look just like the original mechanical units or source the mopar pre-70 blue unit.

Electronic regulators provide better voltage control without voltage spikes of the mechanical ones. It is possible excessive spikes over time, might damage the the ignition box, phone chargers and other electronics. The car battery does a good job of filtering noise when good, but when weak or bad cell the spikes win.

The recommendation is to use electronic. The "thing is," most regulators ARE electronic. Look underneath...........if there is two Great Big Huge resistors, you have the old style "points" mechanical regulator. If not, it's an electronic regulator:

This is an old style "points" or mechanical regulator this has resistors:

440-1621-large.jpg

This one is electronic

5310small.jpg

Close the loop, Bruce. What was this earlier "bum information" on the ballast? Sounds like he gave you good info on the Vreg.

-
Back