Voltage Regulator wire melt down??

-

Dart_440

Reaction score
I recently bought a very nice 67' dart. Last night I noticed the red wire coming from harness plug at the firewall going to the voltage regulator, as severly melted (sheilding & quick disconnect). Someone had already toyed with it, as the wires or what was left had been twisted on.

Anyway, my question is.. does anyone know what might have caused this?? I am not sure if I still have a problem and when I replace the wire if it will do it again.

Also, does anyone have an old harness laying around that I can get this red wire and the quick disconnect from??

GetAttachment.jpg

Thanks
Bryan

That should be a primary wire comming from the starter relay. The other side of the disconnect is a fusable link into the bulkhead. Try YearOne , Good luck

YES! you are correct... it is the starter relay not the voltage regulator, my goof.

Very nice!! I just did some searching.. thats exactly what I am missing..

Seriously thanks for all your help.. I am going to order one now.

thanks Bryan

I dont have any extra harnesses, but I'd like to see your Dart! I have a 67 as well so I'm always wanting see other people's 67! Maybe you've posted pics and info on it already since you've had it?

I dont have any extra harnesses, but I'd like to see your Dart! I have a 67 as well so I'm always wanting see other people's 67! Maybe you've posted pics and info on it already since you've had it?

I haven't taken many pics, I had it shipped from California. Here is a pics when I first bought it.

006.jpg

100_1559.jpg

100_1560.jpg

100_1561.jpg

100_1562.jpg

Nice car ! Nice enough for a correct repair. Any 40 yr old elecrical components will be just like the one you have.
That disconnect connnecter design changed a few times over the years.
If correct from YearOne doesn't suit you try autozone or radioshack.

Nice car ! Nice enough for a correct repair. Any 40 yr old elecrical components will be just like the one you have.
That disconnect connnecter design changed a few times over the years.
If correct from YearOne doesn't suit you try autozone or radioshack.

Thanks..

Yeah I want to do it right.. I am not sure what else I am missing.. Does anyone have any pictures of this??

I am assuming the fusible link went directly into the bulk head and the other end to the quick disconnect. Is this right?? or Should there be a permenant wire coming out of the bulk head with another quick disconnect?? Therefore the fusible link would have a disconnect on each side??

Thanks again... Bryan

Yeah the correct fusable link will have the spade terminal that goes into the bulkhead connecter.
There is a bunch of info out there about running a soild wire through the bulkhead. I can't provide a link (mediachance or something like that).
I dont know if all that is nessesary. That fusable link is where the overload protection is suposed to be. Why move it to somewhere else? I'd rather have a melt down right there than under the dash, etc.. My .02

Yeah the correct fusable link will have the spade terminal that goes into the bulkhead connecter.
There is a bunch of info out there about running a soild wire through the bulkhead. I can't provide a link (mediachance or something like that).
I dont know if all that is nessesary. That fusable link is where the overload protection is suposed to be. Why move it to somewhere else? I'd rather have a melt down right there than under the dash, etc.. My .02

sounds good.. I am all over it now. So are there different amperage fusible links??

sounds good.. I am all over it now. So are there different amperage fusible links??

no they are rated by wire gauge. a 10 ga wire should have a 14 ga fusible link. before you hook up the bat terminals, check for a draw with a test light.

you bought that car out of san jose from a guy named miguel? i remember seeing it for sale. very nice.

Thanks guys.. I couldn't be happier with it. Compared to what we are use to in the chicagoland area, this one might as well have come straight from the show room floor!

Very nice! I used to live in Chicago so I know exactly what you're talking about. Chicago winters tear up cars fast.

great looking dart! Hope you get your electrical problems fixed. Thats what caused me to start my resto early :(

-
Back