W.T.F ?

-
WTH
You run that on the street?
With or without the V-can?
Are those two parts fixed together?
Or just rattling around willy-nilly in there?
Do you have a Timing Computer somewhere?

It looks like a magnetic pick-up down in the bottom there, and probably a reluctor above it. Without advance flyweights, that system requires a Computer and a fixed rotor. So I have never seen that system before, and I imagine that round slug on the left in the picture, is the stopper for the driveshaft.
But I wonder where the flyweights and springs went

If the driveshaft is not fixed to the reluctor carrier, I see what looks like about a timing range of more than 30* , yeah and that could wreak havoc on the rotor-phasing. Between towers you only have 360/8= 45* and you can't use it all on one side. So you gotta have the rotor advancing from one side of the tower to the other side of the same tower, and always closer to the tower that is getting set to receive and transmit the spark. And of course, Chevy rotors are known to burn thru in the center .............

Last edited:
WTH
You run that on the street?
With or without the V-can?
Are those two parts fixed together?
Or just rattling around willy-nilly in there?
Do you have a Timing Computer somewhere?

It looks like a magnetic pick-up down in the bottom there, and probably a reluctor above it. Without advance flyweights, that system requires a Computer and a fixed rotor. So I have never seen that system before, and I imagine that round slug on the left in the picture, is the stopper for the driveshaft.
But I wonder where the flyweights and springs went
Of course I drive it on the street. Lol. Two or 3 times a month I cruise it to work. 17 miles one way from my house. It’s even better with my California 91 oct fuel. Lol. ‍♂️

From the website;
MSD is excited to announce the next generation of 6-Series ignition controls – the 6AL-2! The ignition control combines a new housing, new digital controls and more power in a sleek package. Inside the new cast aluminum housing you'll find an advanced micro-controller that manages the built-in two step rev-limiter. The spark output of the new box has been turned up to 535 volts of primary voltage with spark energy reaching up to 135 millijoules! The multiple sparks of the 6AL-2 burn in the cylinder for 20 degrees of crankshaft rotation to ensure complete combustion. Two more great features are the rev limits! There are two rev limiters; one for high end overrev protection and another you can activate off a clutch or transbrake to set a launch limit. This feature will help your car blast off the starting line! Adjustments are made via four rotary dials for 100 rpm increment control! The all new capacitive discharge ignition will easily connect to nearly any 12-volt negative ground distributor system.
Features:
  • All new housing, same reliable digital circuitry and performance
  • Built-in 2-Step rev control adjustable with rotary dials
  • Higher output with up to 135mJ of spark energy
  • Accepts Hall-effect, points and mag pickup triggers
  • Managed by an efficient digital processor
Where does it say that it contains a computerized timing curve? I don't see it,lol. In which case,the flyweights need to be in there, with appropriate springs for your street combo.

Last edited:
From the website;

Where does it say that it contains a computerized timing curve?
From the website;
Where does it say that it contains a computerized timing curve? I don't see it,lol.
Look up 6al2 PROGRAMABLE

BD906254-7BB1-4D13-9326-4387519A9605.png

Like I said if you have computer-timing, those two pieces need to be locked together. So far, you haven't said that they are.
As for the rust on the pick-up mounting arm; the rust I see is a non issue. And your new one will look the same before long, unless you ventilate the housing and make sure the PCV system is working. The part that creates the signals is supposed to be a sealed unit, so theoretically moisture cannot get into it. And even if it did, the copper wiring is shellacked, and does not rust like iron. The Reluctor, on the other hand, needs to be relatively rust-free on the vanes.
IIRC the air-gap is spec'd to be between .008 to .011. I have seen them working just fine between about zero and .030.

Like I said if you have computer-timing, those two pieces need to be locked together. So far, you haven't said that they are.
As for the rust on the pick-up mounting arm; the rust I see is a non issue. And your new one will look the same before long, unless you ventilate the housing and make sure the PCV system is working. The part that creates the signals is supposed to be a sealed unit, so theoretically moisture cannot get into it. And even if it did, the copper wiring is shellacked, and does not rust like iron. The Reluctor, on the other hand, needs to be relatively rust-free on the vanes.
IIRC the air-gap is spec'd to be between .008 to .011. I have seen them working just fine between about zero and .030.
Sorry. My bad. Yes they are locked . Lol excuse the grammar I have MS annnnnnd I smoke a lot of pot. Going to go over all the grounds today Thank you for the info though. Genuinely appreciate it. I’ve never noticed the loud ticking coming from the distributor though. It’s a hot ignition, so I’m unsure if I’m just heating the arc or if it’s even supposed to tick that loud. It’s got a pretty big roller cam and loud exhaust. But the ticking is noticeable without really getting in there to hear it?

Well, that CDI is kicking out an interesting spark, and Multiple sparks below 3000, and the coil if keeping up,is spraying sparks in there to beat the band. That's definitely gonna make some noise. Even more if the rotor is not phased correctly. Or if the pick-up is rubbing on the reluctor..

I would compare the hot-timing to the cold-timing and make sure the two-step is not malfunctioning. Or actually, I would just bypass it to see what happens.

Talking about spraying Multiple Sparks, I read that the MSD puts out up to 20 sparks. How many degrees would that be? All the sparking has to be done between IDK; say about ~15/18* before the tower to same after the tower, else the spark could jump to a different tower. This is more important for a D with a working advancer, but IDK, it might be worth checking, on account of the "clicking" if actually buzzing, could be pointing to the spark being a long-distance arc.
At 900 rpm, your engine is turning; 900/60= 15 revolutions per second, and requires 4 sparks per revolution, so 60 of them per second. If the MSD is blasting 20 per cylinder that would be 1200 sparks per second. That could make quite the buzzzzzzzzzz if the rotor is stretching them all out to the max. I've never has a Multi-Strike, so can't say what that might sound like, lol.
Well I did so have a MS ignition once; just long enough to get stranded on the hiway with it. Thankfully I had left the Orange box system under there, and it was a quick switch-over, and away I went.
Then I shipped that brand new no-longer-working MS straight back to the factory for warranty repair. When it came back, I put it on the shelf, where it remains to this day; a testament to the ~300bucks I wasted. But, it's in good company with all the other stuff I bought, that either failed on me, or I didn't use, or no longer use..

Last edited:
I met a young woman last Saturday with MS. I talked Bible with her for 2.5 hours, nice kid. She says her MS is affecting her nerves, which affects her short term memory. She was likely in her mid-thirties, half my age, and said that if she would meet me somewhere else than in my workplace, she might not recognize me, and for sure would not recall my name. I had wondered why she repeated my name so often; now I knew; she was building multiple memory connections connecting our time together, with the name of the guy she was talking to. I gotta try that.
I laughed and said welcome to old-peoples world; I'm sorta like that right now. To which she fired right back without skipping a beat, that maybe I should get tested.
Daymn.
lol.
Getting old kindof sucks, but I think getting MS would be worse.
But IMO losing my eyesight would be worse than MS, I think. I mean, she was really pretty,lol; inside, outside, all-around side, a remarkable person..I'm glad to have met her, and even more to have shared the GoodNews with her.

About pot I have no knowledge. Except that I think it smells pretty good when someone somewhere is smoking it, and the smoke of it wafts over in my direction.
When you're in the kitchen and someone is cooking and they accuse you of "pot sniffing" you can say "Oh yes!!!"

If you find me in the kitchen, it's only because I'm fixing something in there, raiding the fridge, or sneaking up on the Mrs..
She calls me a pervert, but she's been putting up with me since 1976. I love her so much.....

If you find me in the kitchen, it's only because I'm fixing something in there, raiding the fridge, or sneaking up on the Mrs..
She calls me a pervert, but she's been putting up with me since 1976. I love her so much.....
Awesome. well figured out my problem. So that’s nice lol.

-
Back