W2 Econo Rocker Shaft - Same as Standard LA Shaft?

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have not seen a specific shaft for the W2 Econo heads available these days. Do you use a quality stock shaft and drill out the mounting holes to 3/8 from 5/16? W2 Econo shaft pedestals on the heads require a shaft that is drilled on center so the pricey W2 race shafts are not an option.

I have a set of the econo shafts ...but i am out of town for the weekend....could check them out for ya on Tuesday...compare them to stock shafts..can compare them to a new set of TA grooved shafts..

Thanks 70aarcuda. Appreciate hour help.

I'm interested in knowing also as one of my econo W2 shafts were cracked when I pulled my 408 apart for a freshen. Need some replacements before I reassemble it

Reading the instruction sheet (attached for reference, sorry, not the best quality though) that came with my W2 econo heads I find the following:

"...It uses a rocker shaft that has the attaching holes on-center. The T/A shaft P3577086 is recommended..."

So I am guessing we are talking standard shafts.

MP - W2 Econo Cast Iron Heads Instruction Sheet - P452994-995 - DCF_173.jpg

As per what I see when I poke around the pages of performance parts, I'd say no since there are two different part numbers for standard shafts and W2/W5.

The Econo shaft and the TA rocker has the same size hole drilled in the shaft...I remember reading that the shafts had to be drilled for the larger 3/8 thread size for the "Long Valve Econo Head"....I will post a picture latter..

here is picture...shinny shaft is econo w2...

20160531_174833_resized.jpg

also depends on what rockers U are using. needle bearings-hard chrome shafts without grooves. plain aluminum or bronze bushed-grooved

-
Back