W2 Heads

-
Fuel line is killing me. Bought pre-bent lines to get lines at least done to bottom of carbs. In order to keep feed on pass side, has to go like this (they're just hanging now at angle since not threaded). But it is going to block my linkage lever I can tell. And I have to pop loose 8 fuel bowl inlet fittings to convert from inverted flare to AN fittings. Those fittings are a PIA with standard wrenches I remember. Still thinking on this...

IMG_20230105_191933.jpg

Done I guess on mockup of Pro Dominator intake. I am gonna bag it until car is ready. Got fuel line/linkage to "work". They do not want to work together. Came up with throttle cable bracket and return spring/bracket.

IMG_202302061_193513221.jpg

This is what I used on my big block Indy intake. Don’t ask me how but I lost one of the hex rods and heims. I just sold it and a powerglide shifter to my buddy for 50.00

152B4E03-C993-4404-833A-372966922EA3.jpeg

94B96F8A-3EE7-4722-AEC3-7340ADD9522C.jpeg

Thanks PBR, that looks like my stuff. I am cooked for now. : )

FWIW - I think the coil will be better off on the firewall. Away from heat and engine vibration.

PBR, no, I bought them pre-made. 2nd set I bought is what is pictured. 1st set had fuel inlet on drivers side, didn't work for me. If I had bent/made them they would have hugged the carburetors more closely. Then I would have no issue with linkage. I think what I have will work though.

Hi Rob. I understand your point, probably right. I just did my best to get the coil on intake for now, just as Chrysler did. I may change it later. Thanks.

PBR, no, I bought them pre-made. 2nd set I bought is what is pictured. 1st set had fuel inlet on drivers side, didn't work for me. If I had bent/made them they would have hugged the carburetors more closely. Then I would have no issue with linkage. I think what I have will work though.

I hope I can tell you something without pissing you off but I may see an issue. Being a Millwright we used a lot of stainless line that we bent. 1/8-1/4-3/8 and 1/2 inch lines. So when I installed my remote oil filter and mounted it on my engine plate I ran two 1/2 stainless lines with nice bends like your lines connected with some very expensive compression fittings. After several years (2010) one line decided to crack at the ferral fitting oiling the track and putting me on my roof on a 5.40 qualifying pass. That car was through tech at probably six different tracks. Solid mounted stainless line will work harden with time and the compression fittings multiply the problem. You may be fine but I would hate to see you have a fire, or worse. That was a long 1/2 mile ride on my roof with my hand on the onboard fire extinguisher system

4CD61102-82CA-4349-AD79-8CD1857B3100.jpeg

FED79BCF-3216-4A52-93EA-F3308EC35FD9.jpeg

1EEF02D6-55C3-43E6-A71D-B816F45F5B0D.jpeg

11882061-2BC1-473F-B1A8-6C10819FE702.jpeg

I hope I can tell you something without pissing you off but I may see an issue. Being a Millwright we used a lot of stainless line that we bent. 1/8-1/4-3/8 and 1/2 inch lines. So when I installed my remote oil filter and mounted it on my engine plate I ran two 1/2 stainless lines with nice bends like your lines connected with some very expensive compression fittings. After several years (2010) one line decided to crack at the ferral fitting oiling the track and putting me on my roof on a 5.40 qualifying pass. That car was through tech at probably six different tracks. Solid mounted stainless line will work harden with time and the compression fittings multiply the problem. You may be fine but I would hate to see you have a fire, or worse. That was a long 1/2 mile ride on my roof with my hand on the onboard fire extinguisher system

View attachment 1716045500

View attachment 1716045501

View attachment 1716045502

View attachment 1716045503

I agree. That’s a maintenance part for sure.

When I do my TR later this year it’s not getting hard line.

This is the reason the factory typically puts loops and coils of extra tubing in the brake lines. It gives the tube room to flex without work hardening at a single point. SS is just a PITA to work with no matter what.

I just put it out there hoping I could save someone from going through what I went through that day and put my son through that had to watch it unfold in front of him. That very easily could have been my last pass, or even my last day on earth. My car was soaked with gas, oil, and transmission fluid. Being upside down it was bad enough being a 7.50 certified car with the cage but I couldn’t get out till the car was flipped up enough to remove the day. If it caught fire I was going to have to set off my Halon system which removes all oxygen. Burn to death or suffocate. I made up my mind that day.

I don't mean to sound ignorant but I am :) ( I just don't know Mopar performance race parts...) but is the intake that goes with those heads called a W2 intake? meaning it has the same shape ports?

Wow PBR! Glad you survived that whole ordeal. I appreciate all the comments on this. Definitely gives me something to think about. I was concerned with making all the AN fittings leakproof but the thought of line failure in the future had not occurred to me. Thanks.

I don't mean to sound ignorant but I am :) ( I just don't know Mopar performance race parts...) but is the intake that goes with those heads called a W2 intake? meaning it has the same shape ports?
Normally yes. They made specific intakes with the bolt spacing and rounded port shape to match the W2 heads. If you are stubborn, it is also possible to modify some standard LA intakes to fit the W2 heads.

View attachment 1716045500

View attachment 1716045501

View attachment 1716045502

View attachment 1716045503
PBR you are the real deal, the racing stories you could tell...:)

Hi Dartswinger70. Yeah the intake I have has W2 port shape to match the heads. Made by Holley in the old days. Here's a pic:

IMG_20230207_155552_1.jpg

Thanks all. Bagged up. End of thread LOL. I appreciate all input from everyone here for sure. I now just have to heave this heavy thing up on my shelf for now and get the car ready.

IMG_20230208_182951.jpg

Looking forward to part to. “Using the W2 tunnel ram.”

Here's some photos of parts I accumulated for these heads over the years. The rockers are the old Norris SS design. I have a set of ARP adjusters to use with them:

View attachment 1716016627
I'd love to purchase those Norris rocker arms from you. I have a brand new set of Harland Sharp rockers that I'd trade you plus $ for yours

I'd love to purchase those Norris rocker arms from you. I have a brand new set of Harland Sharp rockers that I'd trade you plus $ for yours

Thanks but I am not there. I've had this stuff forever. :) You are welcome to PM me though.

-
Back