w2 intake on LA

-

wardy

Reaction score
ok bare with me here, my knowledge about this subject is very limited so ill try my best haha..

basically im building a 318LA for my 68 aussie valiant, and ive bought a M1 single plain manifold to suit W2 (??) heads, same looking ports but different bolt pattern..

what im wanting to know is if the old bolt holes are welded and new ones drilled in the LA head position does everything else line up correctly? is the head to block angle the same?

it looks as though it will work but but im not sure.. picked the intake up for $180aud so I can afford to modify it.

thanks in advance

I know they have used stock La intakes on w2 heads by welding and redrilling the holes and matching up to the oval port. You could probably do the same thing the other way if you were porting the heads. I have never had my hands on a square port w2 but I would guess they are going to be bigger ports than your going to get out of a La head. If the ports were close I'd say yeah if not you'd be money ahead buying a different intake.

Send pics of the intake if you can! You might have a w5 intake. As for you question you might get it to bolt up with some mods but it would not work well. I would look for a ld4b if it were me. You can sell that intake and easily you money back or put w2 head on it but they will cost some coin!

W2 ports are oval W5 ports are rectangles. All W series intakes have a wider bolt pattern to match the heads. You can weld up the bolt holes and red them for standard LA heads.

I have a stock Thermoquad intake that was redrilled for W2s with no other mods to the ports. It came on a Chrysler Engineering dyno experiment engine that had a 300hp Magnum crate lower end with W2s and this intake along with a plate to adapt the Nascar spec 2bbl Holley to the Thermoquad intake...

Thanks a lot for the replies..

It has rectangle ports so it must be a w5 manifold, I knew I would get that wrong.. But anyway.

I'll get some pics up soon so you guys can have a look. It looks mighty close

Here are some pics guys, looks to be a pretty easy fix to me, let me know what you think..

null_zps2e220750.jpg

null_zps0eb13411.jpg

null_zpsb4d526ae.jpg

null_zpscfb0c52b.jpg

wardy, not to steal Your thunder :D,

The corners are an exact fit, --- a given --- re-aligning holes--- easy!

My question is to the Manifolds makeup.

Viewing the pics, (read machined surfaces ), looks to my humble
eye like a lot of magnesium is present in that casting.

mechanical alignment = professional welder, one whom knows the
metallurgy --- so the damn thing won't crack down the road...

Apologies, not trying to be an *** Sir.

mech1

Looks doable to me. My only concern would be the top of the runner, cant tell by the pic.

The intakes are aluminum and I have never heard magnesium mixed with aluminum. A machine shop should be able to handle this easy. Welding aluminum should not be hard for them to do or farm out. The gasket will provide the spot to redrill. The metal gasket should not be used on the engine. A Fel-Pro or Mr. Gasket, gasket should be used over the stock tin gasket.

Port matching is also easy enough.

Manifold is definately made of alloy, I can also weld it myself quite easily, I might even set it up level and drill the holes myself.

Interestingly about the gaskets, they came in my complete felpro kit. I'll have to look into getting others.

Wardy

-
Back