W2 Rocker Question

-

wildbill

Reaction score
Long story short, I bought a set of vintage "ready to run" W2 heads with all the best parts including Crane rockers. After a few 1/4 mile runs I noticed that it was using a lot of water. After taking everything apart I found a hole or crack between the water jacket and one intake port that had been brazed - it did not hold. I now really want to replace both head castings but reuse all of the valves/springs/retainers/rocker arms.

My problem is that the only new W2 castings available use a rocker set up that oils through the pushrods and it is over $1000. Can new W2 heads be drilled to oil through the shafts? Or is there a source for new W2 castings that oil through the shafts?

At this point I am thinking about cutting my losses and selling all the usable W2 gear so I can buy a set of IMM Indy heads.

Best luck would be Ebay or the for sale sections of Mopar sites. Good luck in finding a pair that haven't been butchered.

Long story short, I bought a set of vintage "ready to run" W2 heads with all the best parts including Crane rockers. After a few 1/4 mile runs I noticed that it was using a lot of water. After taking everything apart I found a hole or crack between the water jacket and one intake port that had been brazed - it did not hold. I now really want to replace both head castings but reuse all of the valves/springs/retainers/rocker arms.

My problem is that the only new W2 castings available makes a rocker set up that oils through the pushrods for this combo and it is over $1000. Can new W2 heads be drilled to oil through the shafts? Or is there a source for new W2 castings that oil through the shafts?

At this point I am thinking about cutting my losses and selling all the usable W2 gear so I can buy a set of IMM Indy heads.

yes you can drill the new heads for the oiling. its no big deal.

Best luck would be Ebay or the for sale sections of Mopar sites. Good luck in finding a pair that haven't been butchered.

most likely first gen. you can not port them a lot. they crack.

Are you currently use the Race head or Econo Head?..

There are some new Econo heads for sale over at Moparts.com on page 7 of the Race parts for sale..

As far as your question about drilling for oil...do not know ...but I guess anything is possible, but one thing you might want to check before investing any money is whether the rocker stand mounts are the same as your existing race heads...

I remember Mopar ran off some more Classic W2 heads a few years ago..but they are no longer listed in the catalog...there got to be a some new sets floating around somewhere....

Another blunder by MoPar! A classic and known excellent head that is now in the state of FUBAR. Always a bit expensive hence the great success of the Edelbrock head out selling the W2 50-1 on a bad day.

Are you currently use the Race head or Econo Head?..

There are some new Econo heads for sale over at Moparts.com on page 7 of the Race parts for sale..

As far as your question about drilling for oil...do not know ...but I guess anything is possible, but one thing you might want to check before investing any money is whether the rocker stand mounts are the same as your existing race heads...

I remember Mopar ran off some more Classic W2 heads a few years ago..but they are no longer listed in the catalog...there got to be a some new sets floating around somewhere....

race head is what i have with and with out oiling.

I take W2 heads all day long over Edelbrocks
This can go on and on. Its just what you like to run.

the question about race or econo was to the OP....since most of the heads i saw for sale over at moparts were econo....

I'm thinking that I may be better off to sell what I can of the W2 setup. It is going to cost less to just start over with a standard head configuration.

-
Back