W5 head oiling questions.

-

dart19666

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here is the issues that my friend is having. I have never worked with W5's before so dont know all the tricks to fix this. First problem is that a chevy guy build this for him. Second problem low oil pressure. I took the intake off and found that oil is just pouring out when the solid roller lifter is going over the nose of the cam. Like a quart a minute pouring out. I know that the lifter is unshrouding the main oil galley and that's what causing the problem. One more piece of info is that the heads are oiled thru the pushrods, and the head has T&D paired rocker arms. The cam is a solid roller with 0.700" at the valve.

So now for the question. What lifter do you W5 people run to keep this from happening? Special lifter? Do you bush the lifter with a small oil hole to feed oil up top? Any help would be appreciated because I live on the west coast and all shops on the east coast are closed till Monday. :violent1::banghead:

The first problem is the main problem to a point so bad I onky pray it isn't time for a near complete and total rebuild and/or repurchase of parts. Since a decent machinist would have looked things over before sending it out the door.

Who's solid lifters are being used in what year block?

Some blocks have taller tappet bosses then others.
Some roller lifters have oil bands to high on the lifter that will cause it to leak oil like a gun shot to the neck.
Was any work done to the tappet bores?

There's a lot to cover here.

Tony AKA AARcuda (IIRC cause I'm tired)
Mike Listen (MRL)
OR OU812 should would know this pretty good. IIRC, Tony runs or has run a W5 set up. I'm still getting to mine now.

The first problem is the main problem to a point so bad I onky pray it isn't time for a near complete and total rebuild and/or repurchase of parts. Since a decent machinist would have looked things over before sending it out the door.

Who's solid lifters are being used in what year block?

Some blocks have taller tappet bosses then others.
Some roller lifters have oil bands to high on the lifter that will cause it to leak oil like a gun shot to the neck.
Was any work done to the tappet bores?

There's a lot to cover here.

1979 318 "X" block and the rollers are "Crane Cams" of some sort. Here is the part number. 69552-16

Comp Cams 8043 roller lifters will work in a stock unbushed block. I bought mine from (Brian) OU812.

the 8043 lifters can uncover the oil band at full lift and cause oil loss. our lifters will not and we do offer them with an offset pushrod seat for the intakes to help straighten out the pushrod. see them here MRLPERFORMANCE.com

the 8043 lifters can uncover the oil band at full lift and cause oil loss. our lifters will not and we do offer them with an offset pushrod seat for the intakes to help straighten out the pushrod. see them here MRLPERFORMANCE.com

I will be calling you Monday. The pics look like whats in there but this is my first Rodeo with W5 heads.

I ran the 8043 lifters in a stock unbushed block with a .665 lift cam. With no problems.

we also ran the lifters from IMM on our W5 mill... would have to dig up the paper to verify same part number. These were in a 70 340 stock block, no bushings in lifter bores.... dropped them in and ran them. We were running a Comp Cam .658/.631 275/272 @.050 camshaft.

When I ran my W5 motor I ran Comp Cams Lifters but I tubbed the block with mine. I also grinded the side of the valve spring pocket to allow oil to drain back to the block.

Ok so the lifter #8043 from comp cams works better but when the lifter goes over the nose it just pours out oil. I will take a video to show the amount that we are talking about. So I made a call to MRL Performance and his are on the way. He is a hell of a nice guy and I really played dumb just to see if he knew what he was talking about. He does. I will get the new ones on Monday and put them in and video it. Kind-of a side by side. Thats the update on the W5 lifter saga. :happy1:

Problem solved. If you get W5 heads and they oil through the push rods ONLY buy your roller lifters from MRL Performance. Worked perfect first time.

Problem solved. If you get W5 heads and they oil through the push rods ONLY buy your roller lifters from MRL Performance. Worked perfect first time.

What rockers are you using? I used an Erson rocker but it oiled the same as stock not thru the pushrod. Unless you are using T&D rockers.

Yea, he said earlier he has T&D rockers. I asked the same question but went back and re read. LOL!

I did a search right after I posted and found only a few options for the W2 & W5 head.
T&D, Harland Sharp & Racer Brown @4secondsflat.com and Crane Cam's has rockers, but no shafts.

I noticed 2 diameter shafts available. I don't know what size the race W2 or W5 needs.

Ours pushrod oiled with our Erson rockers.... no probs with the lifters we got from IMM.

-
Back