Wacked out timing gear

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
So I finished tarring down the 360 that I got from a guy for 50 bucks who said it ran great but had a bad piston. He had taken the heads off and pulled the piston which had a chunck missing, I decided to take a look at the timing chain to see if it had stretched enough to cause massive predetination and caused a piston to fail. Sure enough it stretched a lot, almost to the point where I could lift it completely off of the camshaft gear.:wack: I put number 6 at tdc and aligned the timing marks with a new chain and gears. It was an eye opening sight to say the least, because the 360 supposedly only has 50k on it, I can still see the cross hatching and there is no ridge to speak of. Pics are of the old one and the new one.

DCP_4107.jpg

DCP_4103.jpg

DCP_4104.jpg

DCP_4105.jpg

DCP_4109.jpg

Does anyone know what lb ft the cam bolt should be? my book is missing some pages. I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

40-45 ft lbs with some loctite. I have the "How to Hot Rod Smallblock Mopars" book if you wanna borrow it.
It has most of the specs in it.

That is really bad. I'm suprised that you didn't replace it with a double roller though....

$50 bucks for a 360 that needs a timing chain and one piston is a pretty good deal, you did well.

We decided that it is going back together stock until the dart looks decent inside and out, then we will start doing all of the go fast stuff. I paid $50 '71 block, J heads 4bb manifold, and all the little parts. $100 for the gaskets, bearings, and rings. $50 paint and $75 for the car pan and pickup. $25 for the timing set, so about $300 total. I just bought a sure grip 742 casing for $300(hell of a deal) so I figure a 360 for the the same price ain't bad.

I've seen timing chains on high mileage motors that were a LOT worse than that one. Always makes me wonder how they still ran at all. I tore down a Jeep 258 where the timing chain was so loose it was "machining" away a portion of the inside of the alumiunum timing cover. Engine still ran great.

3 things that cause a timing chain to fail early.
1. Not prelubed at install.
2. Drilled through bolt misplaced thus no oil supply.
3. Driver constantly pecking at the throttle.

3 things that cause a timing chain to fail early.
1. Not prelubed at install.
2. Drilled through bolt misplaced thus no oil supply.
3. Driver constantly pecking at the throttle.

It was in a motor home that the guy used to tow his race trailer with so my thought that since it had the mopar part #'s on it, it is most likely #3

-
Back