Waldron Exhaust Concerns / Situation on Formula S

-

Hopeto

Reaction score
I purchased a Waldrons Complete Exhaust System for my 65 Barracuda Formula S project. After waiting a couple of months it arrives. I eagerly open the box. The pipes and muffler parts of the system look great from a quality standpoint. The resonator looks very sub par for quality including the weld burn through pictured.
I sent them the following email: "Exhaust system arrived today. Everything looks OK except the bottomside of the resonator tip where weld burn through displays very poor quality and should have been caught in quality control and replaced. Please advise."
Their response: "Until we find a thicker chrome to weld to this is all we have. You are welcome to send it back for a refund."
I asked what they were going to credit me if I returned and they stated $120.
So now I get to pay the freight to return their subpar quality item. Not a happy camper.
I have now purchased an NOS Resonator for the car.

waldrenresonator.jpg

waldron1.jpg

waldron2.jpg

waldron3.jpg

NICE!! I could do better with my eyes shut.
Probably not made in the U.S.

I purchased a Waldrons Complete Exhaust System for my 65 Barracuda Formula S project. After waiting a couple of months it arrives. I eagerly open the box. The pipes and muffler parts of the system look great from a quality standpoint. The resonator looks very sub par for quality including the weld burn through pictured.
I sent them the following email: "Exhaust system arrived today. Everything looks OK except the bottomside of the resonator tip where weld burn through displays very poor quality and should have been caught in quality control and replaced. Please advise."
Their response: "Until we find a thicker chrome to weld to this is all we have. You are welcome to send it back for a refund."
So now I get to pay the freight to return their subpar quality item. Not a happy camper.

View attachment 1715145033

View attachment 1715145038

View attachment 1715145039

View attachment 1715145040
Tough call. You will know it's there but unless somebody climbs underneath, no-one will ever see it. You could send it back and exchange it for another one. Sometimes cheaper isn't better. Factory resonator:[FOR SALE] - 273 Commando resonator
Here's a thread about quality you experienced. See post #3. 1965 NOS Formula S Muffler/Resonator for sale on Ebay

I also did not like the way the stainless tip was "square" at the side closest to the resonator (not the outlet end) instead of angled like an original which could be seen by anyone. The NOS one I purchased is the one in the Ebay listing in your second link.

I also did not like the way the stainless tip was "square" at the side closest to the resonator (not the outlet end) instead of angled like an original which could be seen by anyone. The NOS one I purchased is the one in the Ebay listing in your second link.
Glad to hear you got a good one. Even though it's more money you will never regret having good quality on your car. Also nice to see you going back to the HP single system. It is such a deluxe touch. I get as many comments and questions about it as I do the HP 273 under the hood!

E41C0E5F-EC70-4508-9E91-887EC6EF258F.jpeg
Did the same purchased nos from ebay

View attachment 1715145033

View attachment 1715145038

View attachment 1715145039

View attachment 1715145040

That sucks. Could care less if you never see it. Just plain sub-par.
Waldrons is a top notch company but believe they are having growing pains and are outsourcing mufflers and resonators. They keep the pipe bending inhouse.
Ordered their complete 273 hi-po set up for a 64 barracuda that i was working on at the time. Not original to car but thought it would be cool and help with resale.
Well 30 days turned into 60 days that turned into a 120 day wait and finally got an email saying they were having vendor problems. Was not happy.
Canceled order and sold car with original single exhaust.

Tough call. You will know it's there but unless somebody climbs underneath, no-one will ever see it. You could send it back and exchange it for another one. Sometimes cheaper isn't better. Factory resonator:[FOR SALE] - 273 Commando resonator
Here's a thread about quality you experienced. See post #3. 1965 NOS Formula S Muffler/Resonator for sale on Ebay
No-one will ever see it,.....unless it cracks and separates at those shitty burn-thru welds,....then they might see them bouncing down the road!!!

The hole is there on purpose...so your pipe wont drip condensation out the end....

Yes, Im kidding.

That is absolutely hideous. I hope you bent their ear REAL good. Glad you found a nice one.

No-one will ever see it,.....unless it cracks and separates at those shitty burn-thru welds,....then they might see them bouncing down the road!!!
I thought I would be diplomatic and not tell the op that I wouldn't put that POS on my car!

I shipped it back to them on Friday and sent the following email:
"I am shipping today via USPS. Cost was $18.05. Tracking # is 9405803699300597004627
Please issue credit of $138.05 on arrival.
Regards, Jimmy Austin"

I'll let you know how the respond.

I ordered two resonators and my biggest concern was there were huge gaps on either side of the stainless tip where it attaches to the resonator. The resonator is less than 4" in diameter so when it is compressed it can't fill the stainless tip leaving 1/2"+ gaps on either side.Talked with owner and he wasn't apologetic, just said there wasn't enough demand to properly make one.
They accepted my return and paid shipping.
Is Laysons the only place to buy a stainless tip?

073426BA-7AAA-4FC0-8F9E-EC674EF39BD0.jpeg
QUALITY ACCURATE REPRODUCTION. 1965-67 BARRACUDA RESONATOR WITH CORRECT TIP.
273 HIGH PERFORMANCE V-8. DATE CODE 9-65 WITH PENTASTAR. SOLD SEPERATELY NOT AS A PAIR. PART#2660445-STAR
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE ONLY 6 OF THESE LEFT WHEN THEY ARE GONE THERE WILL BE NO MORE!!! DCS is the manufacturer of these.
Dales cuda shop

Waldrons issued me a credit of $138.05 today.
Good to hear.
I ordered two resonators and my biggest concern was there were huge gaps on either side of the stainless tip where it attaches to the resonator. The resonator is less than 4" in diameter so when it is compressed it can't fill the stainless tip leaving 1/2"+ gaps on either side.Talked with owner and he wasn't apologetic, just said there wasn't enough demand to properly make one.
They accepted my return and paid shipping.
Is Laysons the only place to buy a stainless tip?
Just the tip?

I just stopped over and snapped a couple shots of the Accurate LTD resonator on my 66..the tips are fairly easy to make but the resonators should be square ended to accept them.
20180228_115347.jpg
20180228_115359.jpg
20180228_115421.jpg

Accurate are a bit pricey for me, especially since I'm using 2 of them.
And the stainless tips aren't correct at the rear. Originals were cut at 45° on both ends and Accurate's aren't accurate in that they're cut square at the back. For $368 they should be more "accurate" to me.

-
Back