Walter P. Chrysler Museum

-

Tony Fields

That's How I Roll
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Had our monthly Mopar club meeting this evening and a friend
of mine told the Club that he had a friend that worked there
and that they were closing the facility at the end of this year.

He said the assets would be sold and the building would become
one of the Corporate buildings.

Sad news for sure.

Very sad news to report from Auburn Hills: At the end of December, 2012, the Walter P. Chrysler Museum Foundation (a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization) will cease to exist. At the same time, the Walter P. Chrysler Museum will be closed to the public. The Museum will continue to be available for rental for private events until the end of February, 2013. At that time, the building will undergo renovations and be converted to corporate use. The approximately 67 vehicles in the Museum Collection that were donated by the Corporation when the Foundation was established will be sold / transferred back to the Corporation. There will be a press release issued in the next day or two.

On a personal note: I have been a volunteer at the Museum since July of 1999, two months before the Museum opened to the public. When I began working at the Auburn Hills Headquarters in 1997, I watched the construction of the building and couldn't wait to be involved in the Museum activities. I volunteered frequently until I retired in 2001 after 37 years with the company. After I retired, I spent many quality hours at the Museum as a volunteer. I even served on the staff twice: 18 months as the Financial Analysis / Accounting Manager and 13 months as the Gift Shop Manager. The closing of the Museum leaves quite a void in my life. This from Mr. Roe Green

Sad news indeed... I really loved going there for car shows in the summer. CEMA was my favorite.

Riddler

Damn, not good news.Another American historical display,lost.

I can't believe it. I've been trying to get there for years, but for one reason or another I haven't made it. Now I've got four weeks to get there. A very said day.

Sad news. Me and my brother-in-law were there in 2009. What a place! We met one of the staff Igor, a nice gentlemen that told us alot of great stories around the museum. We still keep the contact. Sad news!

THIS SUCKS! Good thing I have plans to go there in December and get it in before it is gone

Had a chance to go there in 2005 along with the Henry Ford museum those were two memoral days I won't soon forget. It would be nice If the Henry ford would aquire some of that stuff Like the first Hemi engine that was in the tanks and the turbin car etc. just for history sakes and can still be on display for the masses to see. But a lot of that stuff will probably end up in private collections never to surface again.

man that sucks i have been in it a few years ago and once for a jeep show, and i live right around the corner

Well there goes another place to visit off my bucket list

I have been there and it was so awesome, amazaing what is inside that place....damn shame it has to close.

http://wpchryslermuseum.org/

This is from their website...dated 11/29/12.

The Walter P. Chrysler Museum Writes New Chapter

Chrysler Group LLC Purchases Museum’s Historic Collection and Displays; Move Preserves Automotive Heritage for Future Generations

The Walter P. Chrysler Museum will write a new chapter as it merges with The Chrysler Foundation effective December 31, 2012.

The Museum’s historic collection of 67 vehicles and displays will be purchased by Chrysler Group LLC, a move that will preserve the Company’s automotive heritage for future generations. The proceeds from the sale along with the remaining cash reserves of the Walter P. Chrysler Museum Foundation will be transferred to The Chrysler Foundation where they will support a broad range of charitable community activities and organizations.

"We are very thankful for the generosity of our many members, friends, volunteers and employees and very proud of the Museum’s legacy as an educational and cultural institution," said Brian Glowiak, President – Walter P. Chrysler Museum Foundation.

The Museum, opened to the public on October 5, 1999, was the first on-site museum to be built by a North American automobile company.

"Chrysler will continue to share its automobile heritage housed at the Museum with the public during special exhibitions. The existing Museum facilities will also be used to meet Chrysler Group needs," added Glowiak.

About the Walter P. Chrysler Museum
The Walter P. Chrysler Museum is located on the Chrysler Group LLC headquarters complex in Auburn Hills, Mich., approximately 30 miles north of downtown Detroit. Easily accessible from I-75 at exit 78 (Chrysler Drive), the museum is located at the southeast corner of the complex, at the intersection of Featherstone and Squirrel Roads.

Additional information and news from Chrysler Group LLC is available at: http://www.media.chrysler.com

First we need to understand that a separate entity was set-up in 2009 to preserve the museum and collection during bankruptcy. With Chrysler now buying back their own cars it appears this was successful.

The museum closing should not be surprise as with a lot of small museums today it was losing money.

Yes it was a great place and if you can go see it while you stillll can. I really liked the old Hemi dyno room they preserved.

We were there a couple of months ago. It is a beautiful place and it will be a shame to see it close! Here are a few pics from our visit. We even got to see one of the original turbine cars there. Cool!!

Attachments

• 034 (Copy).JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 035 (Copy).JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 040 (Copy).JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 050 (Copy).JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 058 (Copy).JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 062 (Copy).JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 068 (Copy).JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 054 (Copy).JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 244
Very sad news to report from Auburn Hills: At the end of December, 2012, the Walter P. Chrysler Museum Foundation (a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization) will cease to exist. At the same time, the Walter P. Chrysler Museum will be closed to the public. The Museum will continue to be available for rental for private events until the end of February, 2013. At that time, the building will undergo renovations and be converted to corporate use. The approximately 67 vehicles in the Museum Collection that were donated by the Corporation when the Foundation was established will be sold / transferred back to the Corporation. There will be a press release issued in the next day or two.

On a personal note: I have been a volunteer at the Museum since July of 1999, two months before the Museum opened to the public. When I began working at the Auburn Hills Headquarters in 1997, I watched the construction of the building and couldn't wait to be involved in the Museum activities. I volunteered frequently until I retired in 2001 after 37 years with the company. After I retired, I spent many quality hours at the Museum as a volunteer. I even served on the staff twice: 18 months as the Financial Analysis / Accounting Manager and 13 months as the Gift Shop Manager. The closing of the Museum leaves quite a void in my life. This from Mr. Roe Green

thank you for your time,we may have met, i was lucky enough to have visited a few times on my trips to detroit for auto rama,,i stayed across the street from head quarters and the museum ,, a kool place for people that bleed mopar blue,,,

Will be going there next week for the 5th or 6th time, but it will be the first time with my son! Can not wait to see the cars and trees exhibit!

Su una nota, il nuovo Museo FIAT Auburn Hills è programmata per il 1 gennaio.

(Translation: On a related note, the new Auburn Hills FIAT Museum is scheduled to open Jan 1st.)

I think that Jay Leno will probably end up there on a shopping spree.Hell i think hes the only one with a turbine car in a personal collection. I know if it were Jay and the president of the more money than brains club i would be ready to do some shopping...

-
Back