wanna be in the 7 sec club in the 1/8

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Ok I have a full bodied 72 dart with 3.55 gears . It has a 77 360 with stock bottom end , windage and balanced. It's has arp bolts and windage tray. Pistons are 10.5 to 1 Keith black has small dome for the open chamber heads. Cam is in the 285 duration and .500 lift range won't know until I run numbers it's from hughes to match heads. The heads are late 70 heads I think 597 castings with 2.02 and 1.60 valves, matching springs and stock rockers. Guy I bought car from said they were done at hughes engines and they did stage one port and polish. Has air gap intake and 715 cam holley carb. Before I pulled to refresh it over winter it felt like it pulled all the way to 6k hard. My last dart had a stock 340 with a cam and 3.91 and it ran 8.50 . This feels much stronger so. Just wondering what u guys recommend I should change or do or just refresh it. I wanna be in the mid to high 7 second range in the 1/8 mile. Stall will be around 3k custom unit to match car

Good tune up, converter and making it 60' and that's not a tough time to hit. If it runs MPH on the 85+ range, it's got those ET numbers there with a good chassis.

7.60 is about a 12.00 1/4 7.99 is a 12.60 1/4

The latter would be easy to hit with what you have. I wouldn't put a tall tire on it with 3.55's.

You need at least a 3500 stall convertor and a little bigger cam, maybe a little lower gear. Then it should run 7's easy.

well then; 3.55s will get you 90mph @ about 6000, with 27s, in second gear. But without the lay-down on the start line, You may need more cam,to get into the 7s.

So it looks like the 3.55s will play nice with the current combo. But with a bigger cam comes a higher stall.

I think it wont be easy putting a fully dressed STREET Dart into the mid sevens, with a NA-360 in second gear. Or even in the 7s at all.

I spent many thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours, putting a combo together in a 68 Barracuda. It's a wonderful combo, and a real pleasure to drive. Almost fabulous for a SBM. It goes 93 in the 1/8, but with no traction aid,and street suspension, it has gone just 7.92 with a 2.2 60ft.
I could spend a lot more money on the rear suspension, to get the 60ft to something like 1.7, which might bring the ET down to mid 7s. But chasing a number is not for me. It's a Great car as is.

For the OP, get it to 60'. It's that simple. There are plenty of 11 second engines strapped in 15+ second chassis. Plenty fall victim to the "more hp is a good thing" drug. Worked on a bunch of them over the years.

There are plenty of cars that work great the track, drive nice on the street and pump out 7.50 et's with a 350hp engine. The keys with an auto car... Converter, tune up and getting it to hook (front end is more important than the rear)!

Good luck with it. It's easily doable with some effort.

My car is mini tabbed so I cab get some good meat under it for sure. What shock do u guys recommend on front and back for a street strip car. Was thinking of getting some caltrac bars also

275/50r15 drag radials, good convertor and suspension. 90/10 on front. if u go caltrac use there shocks. My sons 67 360,9;1,904,4.10, 275/50r15,2.02 j heads,ptc 10" and a crane power max cam with less lift and duration then yours. He runs 12.50-12.60. if we put 28' slicks on it will slow down 3 tenths.

275/50r15 drag radials, good convertor and suspension. 90/10 on front. if u go caltrac use there shocks. My sons 67 360,9;1,904,4.10, 275/50r15,2.02 j heads,ptc 10" and a crane power max cam with less lift and duration then yours. He runs 12.50-12.60. if we put 28' slicks on it will slow down 3 tenths.

IT has 325/50/15 nitto drag radials on it now but are worn. I may go to a set of MT drag radials 295/50/15. The 325 nittos rub just a hair in turns

For the OP, get it to 60'. It's that simple. There are plenty of 11 second engines strapped in 15+ second chassis. Plenty fall victim to the "more hp is a good thing" drug. Worked on a bunch of them over the years.

There are plenty of cars that work great the track, drive nice on the street and pump out 7.50 et's with a 350hp engine. The keys with an auto car... Converter, tune up and getting it to hook (front end is more important than the rear)!

Good luck with it. It's easily doable with some effort.

what he ^^ said...

Cracked is right. Check out the thread below. My car is full interior 71 street Dart with a mild junkyard 360 magnum. It's all in the chassis tuning and 60 foot time. I ran a 7.88 at 86 MPH my first time out. Will be trying to tune the motor more this spring but I think I've got my chassis dialed in.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=328305

Nice run on the magnum it's almost exactly what my buddy runs on his 86 ram . He runs a 4k stall and very similar cam with stock heads. Runs 7.9 in full size ram

A 295/50 is going to be in the 26.5 range for height. That would be good for the gear you have.

Put a really good converter in it. I'd get something like a 9.5 unit that flashes in the high 3's range. Get one built and it can be real tight on cruise and drive like a stock converter.

My stock stroke 360 runs 7.40's in the 1/8 with 1.60's in the 60'...

A 295/50 is going to be in the 26.5 range for height. That would be good for the gear you have.

Put a really good converter in it. I'd get something like a 9.5 unit that flashes in the high 3's range. Get one built and it can be real tight on cruise and drive like a stock converter.

Yeah low profile tire will help me for sure. I think I'm gonna have one made specifically for my car . The one that is in there is a off the shelf unit and not sure of the stall...it may be good. Where do u recommend having one made

Sean at dynamic
Lenny at ultimate

Those are two good ones.

Everything crackedback has said is spot on.........I think you already have enough engine to do it, you will be amazed at what a GOOD convertor will do. I have run 7:90s with a 340, unported 1:88 valve heads stock 10.5 pistons and all with nothing but a old racer brown cam and a decent convertor. Get it to 60ft and its easy

Yeah low profile tire will help me for sure. I think I'm gonna have one made specifically for my car . The one that is in there is a off the shelf unit and not sure of the stall...it may be good. Where do u recommend having one made

Call PTC convertors. Good quality and not as expensive as the others. And Kenny is a mopar guy.

-
Back