-
Status
Not open for further replies.

nova_mxer

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm looking for a set of Heads off of a 273 with a 4 barrel carb.

My 273 came with a 2 barrel and the intake ports won't match 4 barrel intake manifolds.

Hopefully something near Washington, DC since shipping would be expensive.

Thanks,
Don
Falls Church, VA

Hi neighbor! I'm about 80 miles or so west of you out 66 and down 81 just a bit. I was under the impression that 273 heads were the same whether for a 2 barrel or factory 65/66/67 4 barrel intake (not later 340 or aftermarket). If not correct, someone will chime in.

My 273 came with a 2 barrel and the intake ports won't match 4 barrel intake manifolds.

Thanks,
Don
Falls Church, VA

The heads are the same on the 2 bbl and 4bbl engines. The pistons are different. If you're intake ports don't match you might have a 340 type intake and those are different. One more thing, the 64, 65, and I believe 66 heads use a different intake bolt angle. The 67 heads are like the 318 heads of that year. So look at the intake bolt angle on your 2 bbl heads and get the matching intake..65 intake to 65 heads, 67 heads to 67 or later small port intake.

If you mean the ports don't match, is it because of size? I have a 273 intake off of a 68 engine and mine are fine! Had a two barrel to start, As was said only difference was Pistons, cam, and an all steel dizzy on the 273 Commando engine, 273 pre 68 were Forged steel cranks too! Then came the 318 with cast crank.

Thanks,
Don
Falls Church, VA

Sure you don't have a mismatch with the early heads which have smaller bolts and a different angle? I think 64 and 65 are different from late 65 and on 273 engines.

I have a set of 1967 273 heads - casting number 2658920 - combustion chamber volume is 57 cc - values and springs are good - no rockers - I would recommend a trip to the machine store before putting them on (for unleaded valve seats and a check up) - in Frederick, Maryland - price $100

I do not believe there was a difference between the two and four barrel heads from what I have found - I may be wrong- Sam

Same head, mid 65 they went with the now standard intake bolt angle and size. Edel Performer has 273/318 sized ports.

When looking for aftermarket intake manifolds for Small Block Mopars, I found several that said they would fit "all 318, 340 and 360, as well as 4 barrel 273". In researching why, I found notes that stated that the intake ports were smaller on the 2 barrel heads.

I haven't pulled the intake yet as it's a driver. Maybe I'll have to wait to see.

intake ports are smaller on all LA 273 and 318 engines
340 and 360 engines had bigger ports
all late 273, 318, 340, 360, intake's will interchange but the ports wont match
early 273 had different bolt angle, later MAGNUM intakes also have there own bolt angle

When looking for aftermarket intake manifolds for Small Block Mopars, I found several that said they would fit "all 318, 340 and 360, as well as 4 barrel 273". In researching why, I found notes that stated that the intake ports were smaller on the 2 barrel heads.

I haven't pulled the intake yet as it's a driver. Maybe I'll have to wait to see.

All 273 heads are small port. 4 barrel heads used different valve springs, That is the only difference. 64-65 heads use 5/16 intake bolts ( 1/2 inch wrench) on a different angle. 68-69 heads used open chambers and a hydraulic cam.

Mega-D - I have been talking to Tony (Tony's MOPAR) and when I go up for the console parts I will see about a 4bbl manifold for the 273. I think the 67 273's are all pretty much the same assuming the bolt angle is correct.

What the hell, put a 440 in it.

Thanks for the replies, and the info.

Unfortunately, summer finances (kid's soccer camps) dictate that I'm going to have to hold off for a while.

I also figured that if I'm going that far I'll just get a 340/360 with heads and go from there. For not much more than what I would pay for just heads I could get a long-block.

Moot point as I'm buying nothing for a while...

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back