wanted 8 3/4 rear end

-

ms2420

Reaction score
Swapping RB 440 into my 71 /6 scamp. Need 8 3/4 rear end. I have one from a 66 charger if anyone wants it as trade / partial trade. I'm located in NJ Thanks guys

I have not personally done it, but apparently lots of guys have put the B-body rearend into an A-body with a little tweaking and a different off-set on the rear wheels. Save your money and time and take a look at it as an option. If you're not interested in that, then take look at getting the housing and perches modified on the housing that you have.Probably quicker and faster than finding a gold plated A-body housing.
Daryl

Why not use the 66 Charger 8.75?

It's 1 3/16" wider on each side than the A body rear. Grab wheels with a bit more backspace. Plus it will be big bolt pattern. Move the perches in 1/2" on each side or spread the springs slightly.

Unless you are using small bolt wheels, I'd suggest to use what you have.

Thanks, I do remember reading that my B body rear may work in the scamp but would be a little alkward. Its really the only thing holding me up. Think Ill give it a try. Has anyone done this? All advise welcome. Thanks

I have an a-body 8 3/4 rear drum to drum. Its been sitting for a while so it needs a cleanup. I was holding on to it for future projects but I would sell it for $400. I am in North Jersey. Let me know if you are interested.

send your rear to Moser, they can narrow it, weld and redrill the b.p. and new bearings and studs for probably half what you will pay for a a-body rear that will need work anyway.

Why not use the 66 Charger 8.75?

It's 1 3/16" wider on each side than the A body rear. Grab wheels with a bit more backspace. Plus it will be big bolt pattern. Move the perches in 1/2" on each side or spread the springs slightly.

Unless you are using small bolt wheels, I'd suggest to use what you have.

I have an 8 3/4 out of a b-body that was in my Demon, spring perches already moved,ready to bolt in. - $200.00 if you're interested.
Would save you alot of time,and maybe some $$.
-Wally.

I run a 67 8 3/4" in my 68 valiant & I was running 15x7" rears with P235/60R15
with no problems.I'm now running 17x8" Mustang Bullitt wheels which fit the B-body axle perfect.I just moved the perches in.Plus you get the big bolt patern & 10x2 1/2" rear drums instead of a-body 8 3/4" smaller drum set-up.It's win/win.

Thanks for all the good advice guys. Going to give the rear end I have a try and see if I can fit it without compromising tires or look.

I used a 8 3/4 out of a 65 coronet in my 71 duster and I am pleased with the fit. I did have the spring perches moved in 1/2 inch on both sides. This only cost $60. You get the big bolt axles and bigger brakes. The 65-67 B body 8 3/4 is a little shorter than the 68-70.

-
Back