Wanted: 8-track tapes

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats so funny! I just recently got pm's because of this thread, asking if they were still for sale.

I'm glad you have them and they astually still work because they got a real good workout when I listened to them back in 70's when I was in high school (especially the Zep, Steve Miller and that Kansas tapes). I listened to that Kansas so many times that when I hear it now on the classic rock station, I expect to hear a big "click" somewhere in the song.

I know how you feel as I looked at the post and thought I have all those 8 tracks. Then I looked at the date and remembered I bought them from you.

There was so much hiss on those tapes...crank the volume in between tracks and you could still rumble the room. the matchbook wedges could have been solved with a tiny screwdriver turning the tape alignment screw on top/bottom of the player, usually had a hole for it covered with a silver piece of tape, just like the "new" cassette players..But those cassette adapters usually worked great becauue there wasnt a skinny tape running over the head. Anyone know what artist had the last 8 track tape made? Could be Fleetwood Mac greatest hits (Or Chicago XIX) ...1988!!! That was well into the CD years...!

I will have to check but I did have an Elvis 8 track still in the wrapper.Elvis trumps everybody else!

i had about 12 unopened elvis 8 tracks,,,sold those on craigs list 10 bucks for all,,,,,had a few opened,,when i threw out all the 8 track stuff,,,,recorders,,,,,head cleaners,,,blank tapes ,, i mayu have kept a few not sure,, but i now have tons of albums i want to transfer to c,d..

About 20 years ago I was having a yard sale and I went in to get a sandwich and I heard a car door slam. When I got outside to see a car speeding off I realized that the only thing missing was a huge box of 8-tracks that I had for sale.I got a good chuckle out of it and my wife couldnt understand why I wasnt upset! We were well into the CD era and I hadnt even seen an 8 track in a retail setting since I had bought that big box of them 10 years earlier at Walgreens for a quarter apiece. I figured if your life is so crappy that you have to steal 8 tracks, he could use them more than I could use the 5 bucks I was asking for the whole box.

a friend and I were joking about having wedges of various widths and thicknesses to make sure all of our 8-tracks played properly lol.

Comb's, wedges & match pads?? You guy's are lying like hell! Everybody know's your supposed to use rolling papers! Now somebody help me with that popular brand that I can't seem to think of right now.....hmmm wonder why??:cool:

8 track's???? HA! the COOL guys had cassettes!
funny, back in the day there were the 8 track guys and the cassette guys
even before any of us had cars, we had BOOMBOXES!!!

8 track's???? HA! the COOL guys had cassettes!
no way- all the cool cats had record players.

20fq0j9.jpg

Remember this? Kraco's finest. This was the trick if you were really cool!

Attachments

• 80sCassetteAdapter-520px.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 144
i had cassette adapters and an FM unit that slid in to the 8 track,,,now thats technology,,,lol

85 ?? and you know what an 8 track is ???? how about an album ? 45 ??? 78 ?? lol

Haha, yes I know what an 8 track is. I'm a little bit of an old soul I guess. Maybe that's why I drive a 45 year old car. I believe 45 and 78 refers to the RPM the record spun at on the turntable? The 45s were smaller, right? I never owned any of them, but I know what they were/are.

Haha, yes I know what an 8 track is. I'm a little bit of an old soul I guess. Maybe that's why I drive a 45 year old car. I believe 45 and 78 refers to the RPM the record spun at on the turntable? The 45s were smaller, right? I never owned any of them, but I know what they were/are.
You are right on the rpm's L.P's or long plays are 33 rpm's, 45's are the small ones that usually had a single on each side that were used in jukeboxes and then 78's that if I remember right came in a couple different sizes and had a wider groove than the others. I have 4 Peaches record crates full of albums I still listen to. I just picked up another Micro Seiki turntable. Albums just sound richer than CD/digital IMHO. Damn I guess I just gave away my age. Old enough to be an expert on 33's and 45's but not old enough to remember 78's. lol

Before he passed, my husband would have CDs for his truck and on the job, but about once a month he would go to the basement and crank up the "stereo" to play his albums. He had quite a collection, in alphabetical order, and don't mess with them. He had a set of Marantz speakers from back in the day and he loved it. No downloads or mpgs for him. His father and his friend still have their 78 collections and antique players for them!

i still have tons of albums,,,im hoping to some day convert them to C,D SO i can listen to them again,,,,there is a turn table that records directly to C,D,,,

You might want to look at this info on USB turntables.
http://www.esotericsound.com/USB%20Turntable.htm
I bought one of their pre amps off e-bay dirt cheap so that is the way I'm leaning to. I was going to do it this winter but never had time due to nice weather. The cartridge on my turntable cost double what a USB table costs. I know the sound has to be better.

You might want to look at this info on USB turntables.
http://www.esotericsound.com/USB%20Turntable.htm
I bought one of their pre amps off e-bay dirt cheap so that is the way I'm leaning to. I was going to do it this winter but never had time due to nice weather. The cartridge on my turntable cost double what a USB table costs. I know the sound has to be better.

yes i looked in to the usb turn tables,,,i dont have the space for that where my puter is,,,,i think the turn table with the cd burner built in woudl be the best way and fastest way,,, i wont be doing that now till winter again,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back