Status
Not open for further replies.

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Contact seller
I have heard they offered it, I would love to buy one, sorry I haven't yet found the part #.

Yep I want to destroke my 360! :coffee2:

-Ross-

Why? So you can bore .060 over and end up with a 343.1?

You can always use a 273-318-340 crank with the correct bearing and do it that way.

If he can find a crank, he can take advantage of all of those standard bore 340 pistons out there.

I'm not aware of any "correct" bearings that will do that. I do remember some talk of making spacers to use the 340 crank in a 360 block, but I don't know if anyone ever actually made them.

If he can find a crank, he can take advantage of all of those standard bore 340 pistons out there.
Exactly.

I'm not aware of any "correct" bearings that will do that. I do remember some talk of making spacers to use the 340 crank in a 360 block, but I don't know if anyone ever actually made them.

hmmm I wonder how hard it would be to make them... (or have them made)

Anyway yes the 340 and even 360 offer many more piston choices then the 318 and like you said I can also use factory 340 pistons that you guys are selling cheap because you are overboreing your 340's to clean them up ect..

You can always use a 273-318-340 crank with the correct bearing and do it that way.

yep that's an idea too, just need to find some or have them made.

Also it would be internally balanced unlike the silly external balance of a stock 360. (better for my 4spd)

Exactly.

hmmm I wonder how hard it would be to make them... (or have them made)

Anyway yes the 340 and even 360 offer many more piston choices then the 318 and like you said I can also use factory 340 pistons that you guys are selling cheap because you are overboreing your 340's to clean them up ect..

Not very hard to make imho. Chev 383 stroker uses 400 crank and there are spacers to install it.

Not very hard to make imho. Chev 383 stroker uses 400 crank and there are spacers to install it.

Actually, if I remember right, on a 383 Chevy you need to turn the 400 sized mains down to 350 size. If you go the other way, 350 crank into 400 block, you need spacers.

why not try a 3.79" crank? i know its not 3.31, and opposite of what u wanna do, but i would think it'd be a better performer... been reading alot on those.....seems they make damn good engines...

A friend said that Callies made a spacer set, and may still.

I will look into that, Thank you

why not try a 3.79" crank? i know its not 3.31, and opposite of what u wanna do, but i would think it'd be a better performer... been reading alot on those.....seems they make damn good engines...

Ummm kinda missing the point here aren't we? If I was going to spend that much money on an engine it would be a 440 not a small block stroker....

Lets compare costs:

Heads:
SB - aluminum Heads $1500
BB - aluminum Heads $900
Both have to be torn down and worked on out of box... so +$500

Crank:
SB - stroker kit $1200+ -still needs to be balanced for a 4spd (made in china?)
BB - Needs to be balanced can buy aluminum water pump housing, pump, rebuild rods and aluminum intake and still be under $1200.

Block work:
$800ish both blocks.

Pistons:
SB - Usually come with stroker kit. (Require an overbore + money.)
BB - Reuse pistons and deck the block when block work is done.

Windage tray:
SB - $100
BB - $20

Intake:
SB - Have to buy an airgap $250. (Used $150 good luck finding one.)
BB - Already airgap style, used $100.

Cam and lifters:
Lets say $250 for round #'s for either.

Headers:
About the same for both if your going TTI $700ish?

Ignition:
About the same for both if your going MSD (pro billit dist, 6al box, blaster 2 coil, 8.8 mm plug wires)

Weight:
About the same with use of all the aluminum parts maybe BB is a few LBS heavier.......

Motor mounts:
SB - Stock '73+ spool mount K member with spool mounts so they don't break. (already have)
BB - Stock '73 + spool mount K member with '78 doba 400 spool mount mounts.. (already have)

Oil pan:
SB - Find a car pan $60.
BB - Lots of c body pans easy to find one that works with spool mount, $30.

Let me know if my prices are off, they are rough estimates, and yes I am around this stuff every day working at a mopar restoration shop.

Now what I want to do:

'74 thick wall 360 block $40
Set of '69 340 pistons I bought from a member in here for $30
'70 340 6pack rods and crank that I picked up for $75 (Maybe a lighter '68 318 crank with the '68 lighter rods)
Aluminum heads?
Air gap used that I got for $150
Crank spacers?

Block work $800 (main line hone, bore, deck, cap bearings ect...)

Balance the rotating assembly

Roller cam?

I would have myself a high winding high compression 340 that would spin to the moon and quickly, and with a smaller cam be very drivable on the street with my 4spd.

Try finding a decent 340 block for less then $500 and it will still need pistons.

I don't go to the track, and I will not have an automatic.

Here's another name I just ran across...

Bill Richardson (ask for him) Richardson Auto Machine, Lynchburg, Virginia (434) 846-0043

That is cut and pasted from somewhere else. I don't know if it's accurate anymore, but worth checking into.

Here's another name I just ran across...

Bill Richardson (ask for him) Richardson Auto Machine, Lynchburg, Virginia (434) 846-0043

That is cut and pasted from somewhere else. I don't know if it's accurate anymore, but worth checking into.

Thank you I will look into it

There is a link to where they used to be on Mancini's site, but they're not there anymore. They were on the main caps page. They may have been elsewhere, too, but I can't find them. Calling them may be best.

Saw it on the website,Was looking for something else and saw it.Don't remember. where,sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back