Wanted: power gear box diagram

-

grjammer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Im in the process of taking apart my power gear box. its a 67-power gear box. I am looking for a diagram showing internals. I cant seem to get one shaft out. I have removed the pittman arm shaft. Both lock nuts have been removed. (what fun). low pressure valve and the slotted pin going inside have been removed. Im sure theres some magic trick, just dont know it yet

Does this help?

pumphelp.jpg

gear box, not the pump, but thanks, I will archive that!
This is what Im trying to take out.
gearbox.jpg

Thanks, I was able to find it . I did manage to get the tang washer out. Following their method of prying the gear assembly out....not so easy on an ancient part. I am re-soaking and hoping it pops out. If not I will reassemble and use it for a core or pay to have it rebuilt through rock. Thanks again

These Chrysler boxes have been known to make grown men cry, while Saginaw boxes that are found in fords and chevys can be rebuilt with your eyes closed. I know from experience that Mopar power steering boxes are not an easy DIY process and there's a lot of tricks to making them function well. If you want a firm box with no slop on center I would recommend sending it to FirmFeel.

borgeson sux, wtf is up with that re-***-embly pun intended. I am shipping as a core. anyone wanna by a full nos unopened seal set? lol
Thanks for replys.

Pardon my coffee talk... I worked with a Ken at a auto service center. He was one of the better/more experienced fellow mechanics I worked with and learned from over the years. The shop owner/manager agreed that Ken would rebuild a Chrysler power steering gear for one of Kens "special" customers. This older couple ( related to Kens wife ) with a chicken farm, suppled double yoke eggs area wide from a ugly, stinky, Dodge p/u truck with huge camper shell on it. So after 4 days, that gearbox back in the vise 3 times, Ken went to the shop owner with head hung low. A store bought reman'd steering gear was installed. The shop and Ken lost money on this job. Thus another something I learned from Ken and working there... Do not attempt to rebuild a Chrysler steering gear. Not even for mom!
My own big loser job was timing chain and gears in a front wheel drive Cadillac Eldorado. That story for another day/different thread. Sooooooo,
We win some we lose some and we learn where our boundaries are. It's those barbed wire boundaries that hurt. Good luck to all.

Last edited:
-
Back