-
Status
Not open for further replies.

kikgas01

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I need a correct grille for the barn find I bought. 1 owner 71 340 Duster,all original. Driving it home 100 miles Wednesday thanks,Shane.
340.jpg

71.jpg

0205111514b95185557.jpg

0205111514c95189771.jpg

duster.jpg

71340.jpg

that might be the correct grille not all 340 dusters in 71 came with the sharktooth grille, and you really dont want to drop an easy 650+ bucks to get a grille that probably isnt correct for your particular car do you? just my two cents, very nice car though

I own a sharktooth and believe me you sink a lot of money into it, and on top of that, you still have to fix them which is more money. Then when you go to sell it, you cant find a box that you trust enough to ship, or you cant get enough money to recoup what you lost.

It is suppose to have the sharktooth. He hit a pheasant in 1973 and broke it. He still has what is left of it. If I have to spend 600 than so be it. This thing is original and want to keep it that way. It has never been apart and has 70k on it. The original carb needs a kit but have it as well.

Nice find...how long has it been parked for? and has it started or been moved since?

Just out of curiousity,does anyone know if those fender mounted turn signals come painted on some years/models and not on others?

He starts it once a month. He said if I want, he will have it all cleaned up, full tank of gas and ready so I can drive it home. I am gonna drive it home! He drives it 3 times a year or so. He has had in since it was new and he was in high school. This thing would be a huge hit at Mopar shows.

He starts it once a month. He said if I want, he will have it all cleaned up, full tank of gas and ready so I can drive it home. I am gonna drive it home! He drives it 3 times a year or so. He has had in since it was new and he was in high school. This thing would be a huge hit at Mopar shows.

That is a super cool car and I really like the all original survivors.Sounds like you're planning on keeping it unrestored which is great to see.

At the very least,you might want to give a good check over before driving it though,make sure it has'nt leaked out it's fluids over the years when sitting and that the car is roadworthy.

I bought an all original 63k mile car about a year ago that was summer driven by the previous owner but mostly parked over the years and some things were overlooked.I had the car shipped most of the way here then drove the car about 50 miles home from the border crossing without incident but once I got the car home I started going over and found quite few things that could have caused problems.I found that the oil had leaked out of the rearend over the years there was none on the gears,all 4 wheel cylinders and the master cylinder were leaking,one of the front brake shoes was cracked and coming apart,both e-brake cables were seized,the idler arm was totally shot causing the steering linkage to rub on an exhaust pipe,both u-joints were insanely tight and two of the cups were full of red dust which used to be the bearings,and the rad was starting to leak.
Also,the horn relay did'nt work and the turn signal switch had failed so I had no horn or brake lights as well as no high beams.

I was lucky it was a fairly short drive with a break in the middle and nothing got hot enough or lost enough fluid to cause a problem but personally I'd recommend having the car towed or trailered until you have a chance to go over it throughly especially when a lot of the wearing parts on the car could still be the original 40 year old pieces.

If you find a sharktooth that needs work, hit me up and I can tell you how to fix it! relatively easy, just time consuming.

A guy I know from another site just sold his for 350 dang it. I will see what the guy has left from the car I bought. It was 1973 when it got broken.

Don't have the grill for you, But Sweet Car! Does it have the fender tag? Any cool options?

If you find a sharktooth that needs work, hit me up and I can tell you how to fix it! relatively easy, just time consuming.

I agree with that statement. I did one for a guy a few years ago, and I had about 6 or 7 hours in just masking it for paint.

This Duster is a great find, congratulations! I wish you all the luck in the world on the drive home.

The fender tag is in place. The stripes are a option I think, The vacuum gauge is a option the fender mounted lights are a option I am unsure but think the fold down armrest is a option, the sharktooth grille was a option and I will find out more when I decode it. I am hoping for a broadcast sheet under the seat as well. I know he is the original owner. He said he has kept it up even though he didn`t drive it much. It started when it was 30 below!(I knew I was buying it last winter.) This thing has to be rare just because it is all matching numbers, 1 owner, 73,000 miles, original paint and interior and everything. I`m excited. Suppose to rain everyday but 1 next week and that day is when I am going. 100 miles 1 way!

that might be the correct grille not all 340 dusters in 71 came with the sharktooth grille, and you really dont want to drop an easy 650+ bucks to get a grille that probably isnt correct for your particular car do you? just my two cents, very nice car though
Sorry to say you are wrong Sir. ALL 1971 340 Duster's came with the Sharktooth grille.

Nice find.. If it was me I would rent a uhaul car dolly or trailer or something. Its hard enough keeping a restored 40 year old car going safely down the road. Much less one that's been sitting up that long. Anyway can't wait to see what it looks like with some soap and water applied.. Good luck and stay safe.

x2 on that correction.
dont wanna piss you off
but for sure all the sharktouth grill were option
friend s father have 1971 duster that he bought brand new
and have this option

you could ordered your car with it but from the factory
with a 340 or no

1970 340 dusters came with this grill only, in 71 340 dusters came with sharks tooth drill and standard dusters came with other. This came from my freind that work for chrysler back then. Great find, keep it a survivor and trailer it home until you can go through it. Thats my two cents. LOL.

Awesome find! You hit the jackpot on that one. I personally would trailer it home- like was said earlier about what to watch for... Brake hoses and fuel hoses have a nasty way of blowing at the worst possible time...AMHIK! Good luck!

..........What r u willing 2 pay 4 a perfect nos 1 with bezels....includes all attatching hardware....not mine but the owner is considering selling...if the price is right.........kim.............

Got it home!!! Here is the fender tag decoded. I trailered it but backed it off the trailer so it runs!!!!!!
Decoding of Fender Tag: Botttom to Top, Left to Right​
Code Description E55340-4 Barrel 69-73D32H-D A-727 TorqueFlite Trans / Some Years A-998VS29V = Plymouth Valiant / Duster
S = Special
29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop

H1BH = 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
1 = 1971
B = Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
356535Sequence Number '356535'EV2Paint Code: Hemi Orange / Tor-Red Irid
L4X9Trim Grade/Style/Color
L = Low
4 = Vinyl Split Bench w/ Center Armrest
X9 = Black
TX9Upper Door Frame: Black / Black Velvet408Date Built: 4 / 08 / 1971191340Order Number: 191340V1XRoof Type OR Color: Full Vinyl Top - BlackUBuilt to Specifications for USA OrderAO1Unknown At This TimeG15Tinted Windshield OnlyG36Left Hand Remote, Right Hand Manual Outside MirrorL25Trunk Compartment LightL31Hood / Fender Mount Turn SignalM21Roof Drip Rail MoldingsN41Duel Exhaust w/o TipsN42Chrome Duel Exhaust TipsN85TachometerR11Music Master Radio AMV6XBlack Longitude Sports StripeV8XTransverse Stripe - BlackEN2End of Codes Assembly Line 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back