Warm Hello from Betsy ('64 Dart Conv.) and I

-

Diablita

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Brand new to the site. Restoring my '64 Dart Convertible aka "Betsy" who I have owned since 1985, bought from son of original owner. I had her painted to fix a dent to fender by a hit and run, and it has so far turned into a two year restoration. I had her underside recently blasted to remove the crud so I could see what needs what. Found a big hole in the front cross member where the strut went thru, and apparently it had happened in past on the left, which has been welded. That explains the "clunk" I started hearing when braking.

So I am wondering if anyone manufacturer's new cross member assemblies? I am looking to rebuild the front end, and do the front disc conversion in the next 30 days. I am planning to participate in a vintage car rally, so she needs to 220+ miles and be road worthy. It would be great if anyone could steer me to a LA group or person that has experience with these cars who could advise or for hire? I am a motorcycle racer with some limited mechanical skills, and willing to do dirty work, but I lack the space and right-sized tools for this job.

Also searching for recommendations on which are better kits for the rebuild, bushing, brakes, etc. And if there is any other things I should replace? Planning to keep "Betsy" for another 20+ years, so time for some TLC.

Your help is greatly appreciated, great site!

Diablita
Hermosa Beach

Welcome to FABO I'm sure you will like it here,it's full of great information, and sometimes
Entertaining
Moe

There are a few options you can pursue.
There is a company that restores "K members" they clean and fully reinforce them they are Firm Feel inc. http://www.firmfeel.com/reinfkfram_a.htm . they also make several upgraded suspension and brake parts.
Next you can go with a complete tubular K member and coil over suspension package that completely upgrade the handling. from Magnum force http://www.magnumforce.com/store/results.asp?CategoryID=41 or RMS http://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16187&cat=269&page=1
or a third more budget friendly option is to go with a used K member from a doner car and replace worn parts with new as needed.
As for shops in your area I'm sure there are some excellent ones but i'm on the wrong coast for that recommendation. David

Welcome to FABO Diablita!

You will enjoy this site - There are lots of great people and information

If you can find the time, would like to see some pictures of your car. We love pictures!

Enjoy the site!

Ma Snart

My 67 Cuda for your viewing pleasure - more pictures in my gallery of all my Mopars

Attachments

• DSC06824.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 159
Thanks for the info so far! You guys have been great with helping! I've got a game plan as well as a place for finding some of the missing trim since the paint job. Band-aided the strut hole in the k-member yesterday, wow is that ever scary, had no idea what the "clunk" was about. :newb:

Okay figured out how to load some pics of me and Betsy:

Attachments

• IMG_1195.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1211.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1191.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 141
:DI think this K-member is on it's last leg. Thanks Dave for the links for replacement options. Wow! That stuff is nice but sure pricey. I'm not racing her, so I think the donor would be a very good option. But after seeing the reinforced FirmFeel version, I have a little envy. I don't think they are going to want my old one. Some before and after pics.

I can't take any credit for the welding, but I prepped the hole and removed the strut! Boy was that a hard lesson. Realized there was no way to get the strut back on without modifying it, let's just say it's adjustable now. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1277.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1279.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 137
Welcome from a fellow Southern Californian

It looks like it was needing repair clunking too long and finally broke through. It's not rusty at all. Should be fine.

Car Muffler and Automotive on 2617 Artesia near Inglewood in Redondo Bch. can rebuild that front end. They do lots of older cars. Kevin that works there is restoring a 68 Charger and 56 Chrysler. Another shop would be Playa West Automotive on 8145 Manchester near Imperial they work and older cars and Mopars too. Tell them Steve from Justice Brothers sent you.

Hope to see your car out at a Spring Fling. Greatest place west of the Mississippi to network and find used and new parts for you new car.

Come up to one of our Chrysler Performance West car club meetings. Great place to network and activities with the cars. Meetings are in Granada Hills right near the 118 and 405 fwys. Read here and our facebook page about the car club.

Club info on website: http://www.cpwclub.com/about-us/content/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/groups/65828259832/

Welcome! FYI the K frames are all the same for the early A's whether slant or V8. The 65 and 6s had mounting holes in the K for a factory sway bar should you elect to add one.

-
Back