Warning for you guys who may be buying a wiring Harness.

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
AVOID Ron Francis.

i finally got my wiring harness kit from Ron francis yesterday. It took them two weeks to send it because they were waiting for the mopar electronic ignition harness(which in my order i specified that i wasnt going to use it)

So the kit i bought is advertised as a mopar specific harness.
http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=XP-777

The only thing mopar specific in the kit is the mopar electronic ignition harness.

I bought this kit thinking that it would have the necessary plug so i could just plug into my steering column and work from there. Of course i open the bag what do i find? Instructions for wiring to an Ididit or GM column. Even on the instructions for how to wire up the fuse panel. It neglects mopar applications.

Oh my mistake there is one more "mopar" specific thing. They supply a plate with two grommet holes to fill the gap left by the old firewall connector. Problem is? its completely the wrong size.

So i'm extremely dissatisified with this and would suggest everyone avoid them. Their "mopar specific" kit ran me 100 bucks more than the closest competitor(American autowire), took forever to arrive, and is basically the exact same kit.

If you would have asked..................

I've "disliked" most of the big name stuff (Francis and Painless) for just these types of reasons, and AbodyJoe has posted several times that he likes American Autowire

'Course...............too late now.

I don't know what to tell ya about the column connector...........I spliced into mine, as it was in good shape, but my 67 connector is actually a poor design. If I ever have trouble, I'll probably use "something else," maybe even Molex. In reality, there is no reason to keep the Mopar connector, anyhow.

Did they accept your return and refund your money?
To me, that is the least they could do. Your complaints
seem justified regarding the non Mopar specific issues.
I appreciate the warning.

BC

I have a Ron Francis and instead if using the GM terminals I bought the Molex terminals and used the Mopar plastic connector to plug into my ignition and turn signal switch.

I have to say that I called tech support a few times and they were knowledgeable.

Take your time!

i have that kit from ron francis sitting on the deck lid of my dart as we speak .... just waiting for a free weekend when i have lots of hours to devote to the wiring.

nobody makes the mopar plugs for the column, light switch or ignition switch. its not that big of a deal i just pulled the wires on my column harness and used a universal molex style connector. i took apart the mopar ingition switch and used the new harness and molex fittings into the factory plug. its not that big of a deal. nobody that i know of makes a plug and play harness for mopar.

We have used American Auto wire on several restorations and their stuff is always top notch.

-
Back