Warranty Block?

-

Blucuda413

Reaction score
How to tell if block is warranty block? I have a 340 block with no numbers on drivers side along pan rail. It does have numbers stamped in front below drivers side head. I can't read them but they look like they are double stamped. Also stamped is the dreaded horizontal diamond. Is this a warranty?

IIRC, Maltese Cross is undersize crank journals. I can’t remember what .020 OS pistons is, though.

The diamond is +.008 O/S tappets and the Maltese cross is .001 under crank. The cross+X is .010 under according to my book. What is the casting date?

Warranty blocks have a warranty tag riveted to them.

Parts department replacement blocks to not.

As far as the diamond being stamped vertical, horizontal, sideways, upside down - no difference in meaning.

I forgot the lower shell of the #4 main bearing on a 318. Oil pressure never got above 30 and never under 4..shut her down after it stopped at 4 for about 5 seconds. It ran great for the 5 minutes I was watching it. I literally looked under the car and saw it laying on the ground. I installed them with the crank in the car using a heavy paper clip in an oil hole to push the bearing shells into the block side. Wont try that again! Ran like a top after that, oil pressure never got under 20 even at idle.

The best I can tell it was cast on 2/8/72. There is no tag riveted to the block. All 16 lifters are oversize. Mopar used to sell oversize lifters. When I bought 16 for this engine about 85 or 86 there were only 52 in inventory. Unobtainable now.

That was 45 yrs ago

Still worthy of a "D-oh!"

The best I can tell it was cast on 2/8/72. There is no tag riveted to the block. All 16 lifters are oversize. Mopar used to sell oversize lifters. When I bought 16 for this engine about 85 or 86 there were only 52 in inventory. Unobtainable now.

Do any of the cam companies offer them?

Still worthy of a "D-oh!"

Do any of the cam companies offer them?
No cam companies offer them and the last time I checked no lifter manufacturers made them either and would not make a special set. It cost so much to sleeve the lifter bores that the block has been resting on an engine stand for years.

Well...any engines that use a .914" lifter?

What did you last check? Many companies are a lopt more open to custom parts now, with computer-aided machining.

-
Back