Was sooo close....

-

This Bad Demon

Reaction score
Ok....I finally got the Ez Efi working properly...So I get to driving my car and started noticing a delay goin into drive probably second day I had it out...Got worse as fluid got hotter...So today I pulled the pan hoping for maybe a clogged filter but of course had a lot of flakes and slivers of metal in the bottom. I know it needs a total rebuild but by my description would anyone know if any hard parts may be damaged or if I would be okay just ordering a rebuild kit...International shipping gets expensive...lol. Also its on a slight hill and if put in drive it acts like its in neutral until I give it some gas...Reverse is solid....It's an A727 transmission... The guy that rebuild it before left out one accumulator but didnt feel like it had a shift kit.

It sounds low on fluid if it engages after giving it gas. If there is any damaged parts you won't know until you take it apart.

Flakes are a dead giveaway that fluid level isn't going to fix it.
I could take a guess about hard part damage if you have a pic of the pan contents because a tiny sliver here and there along with a little silver and black material can be normal.

Flakes are a dead giveaway that fluid level isn't going to fix it.
I could take a guess about hard part damage if you have a pic of the pan contents because a tiny sliver here and there along with a little silver and black material can be normal.

I didn't take a pic of it but it was a few tiny slivers....Fluid was flakey and looked like a piece of rubber like material in the bottom of the pan

"Rubber-like" material could be silicone RTV. That shouldn't be there. But if it's rubber of a well-defined shape, it still shouldn't be there, but it sounds like it might be a piece of lip-seal, and according to your description of reverse being ok, it probably came from the rear clutch piston, which is used in all forward gears.

"Rubber-like" material could be silicone RTV. That shouldn't be there. But if it's rubber of a well-defined shape, it still shouldn't be there, but it sounds like it might be a piece of lip-seal, and according to your description of reverse being ok, it probably came from the rear clutch piston, which is used in all forward gears.

Yea it was a little circular style rubber piece with a little piece missing... When I saw all the sparkle in the fluid I knew it was done...Lol... In a few weeks I'll pull it out. What's the best way to clean the TC?

Yea it was a little circular style rubber piece with a little piece missing... When I saw all the sparkle in the fluid I knew it was done...Lol... In a few weeks I'll pull it out. What's the best way to clean the TC?

Short of cutting it open, there is NO WAY you can properly clean a converter out. Foreign material will compact in the vanes of the pump and the turbine and no amount of flushing with solvent will get that stuff to move. Also, the transmission oil cooler in the rad, or any external cooler will have the same junk, and need to be attended to.

Short of cutting it open, there is NO WAY you can properly clean a converter out. Foreign material will compact in the vanes of the pump and the turbine and no amount of flushing with solvent will get that stuff to move. Also, the transmission oil cooler in the rad, or any external cooler will have the same junk, and need to be attended to.

They do have flushing machines, and I have personally used them before with very little confidence that they actually worked worth a damn.
If you have ever blown out cooler lines you know how hard it is to get all the junk out of them, so exactly how is a low speed rinse going to get all that junk out of a converter with all the nooks and crannies they have.
Then you have Torrington style needle bearings and other critical surfaces as well as to consider.
How much damage was done to those surfaces, and would you want to risk a new rebuilt trans on them?

IMO a converter flush on a trans that blew up is only good for making a shop more money, and puts the new or rebuilt trans at risk of early failure.

They do have flushing machines, and I have personally used them before with very little confidence that they actually worked worth a damn.
If you have ever blown out cooler lines you know how hard it is to get all the junk out of them, so exactly how is a low speed rinse going to get all that junk out of a converter with all the nooks and crannies they have.
Then you have Torrington style needle bearings and other critical surfaces as well as to consider.
How much damage was done to those surfaces, and would you want to risk a new rebuilt trans on them?

IMO a converter flush on a trans that blew up is only good for making a shop more money, and puts the new or rebuilt trans at risk of early failure.

I'm not sure that converter flushers are even being made anymore. Trans-tool used to make them, but when lockup converters became the norm, sales fell into the toilet. It's almost impossible to flush out a lock up converter because of the piston inside it. Old technology that as TB says barely worked in the old days.

-
Back