Was Unibody Strengthened for Convertibles?

-

James Ozolins

Reaction score
Hi,
I am making a list of topics to research for my '64 Valiant project, and I keep wondering about this. Full frame cars would have the rails boxed to compensate for the lack of a roof, but could the Unibody be rigid enough that it didn't need extra bracing?

thanks.
Jim O.
1964 Valiant Signet 200

I'll third this and add that toque boxes increase the strength of the car quite a lot.Combine them with frame conncters and you have a 20% increase in structural rigidity

Hi,
I am making a list of topics to research for my '64 Valiant project, and I keep wondering about this. Full frame cars would have the rails boxed to compensate for the lack of a roof, but could the Unibody be rigid enough that it didn't need extra bracing?

thanks.
Jim O.
1964 Valiant Signet 200
I have the back half of a valiant convertible I got from Waggin. (doing my own convertible too). I have torque boxes on the front and rear of the dart and looking at the valiant that's been cut in half there's a plate that's in the rockers that got to be at least 4 inches tall and 1/8 thick or better running the lenght of the rocker I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post it if you'd like. I was wondering how the car didn't fold up with all the rust that was in the back half I got. now I know, lots of extra metal in there!

I have the back half of a valiant convertible I got from Waggin. (doing my own convertible too). I have torque boxes on the front and rear of the dart and looking at the valiant that's been cut in half there's a plate that's in the rockers that got to be at least 4 inches tall and 1/8 thick or better running the lenght of the rocker I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post it if you'd like. I was wondering how the car didn't fold up with all the rust that was in the back half I got. now I know, lots of extra metal in there!

I'd like to see that picture....curious...

I thought that they were strengthened by more than torque boxes. Might not be the unibody, but they are 100lbs heavier than the comparable hard top. The torque boxes dont weigh that. Added top-frame doesnt add up compared to a hard top either. I was of the understanding they were more rigid around the doors-frames as well???

If a convertible top with frame is lighter than a steel hardtop, it cant be by much. If the top is power actuated, 100# seems pretty optimistic.

Aside from the torque boxes, there was some additional body structure for the top well. The only additional strength this provided was needed for attaching the top frame. Factory convertibles were known to be "flexy" compared to hardtops. Subframe connectors would be a wise addition to a convertible.

I'd like to see that picture....curious...
okay here they are this is the back half of a 63-5 valiant convertible

I was supprised how big a chunk of metal was in there, I looked through a couple of oops spot welds that i went though on in the dart and it looks like it goes all the way to the front on mine the whole lenght of the rocker. betcha that's where the extra 100lbs are at
icon10.gif

reinforcement in convertible.jpg

the other side showing how far.jpg

Also in the quarter where the door meets the body there is an extra brace panel welded in on the back side behind the striker.

Wow, that is a chunk of steel in that rocker!
That helps explain the rigidity of a car with rusty floors.

Jim

Got buddys here in town that do just that to stiffen things up when they build a street rod that is going to have a Carson removable top. A steel plate that runs along the bottom and then is welded to one that runs up where the strike is and also on the front of the jamb where the hinges would normally be. I'm a believer.
Small Block

Wow, that is a chunk of steel in that rocker!
That helps explain the rigidity of a car with rusty floors.

Jim

Yea!!!...You said it Jim!!!...WOW!! Who'd a thunk it???? Those are great shots! (I've saved'em) Thanks very much, 66Dvert. I never knew that was in there. Good to know. Guess thats why my 'vert didn't fold in half when I had the whole floor out.

Dang. Thats Cool. Glad to have seen it here.

That amount of metal there helps explain a lot. Outer body rails, in-between tires, At or below center of gravity.

I've ridden in post car's before and they never seemed to have the cornering feel my convertible had. If this is standard on 'verts, that could explain a bunch. I had always attributed it to the HD suspension on mine, but maybe its more than that...

-
Back