washers

-
I only know to try going to NAPA. If you're having leaks with new copper washers, it is due to the new washers being too hard (or just being copper coated steel). The thing to do is to find softer copper washers.

Napa had nothing. Ended up at O'reilly's . Doubled up on the bottom washer seemed to work.

Stick in the back of your mine to try annealing them. The washers I mean.

where can you find the thicker OEM crush washers for banjo fitting
Whenever I need something unusual; stainless bolts, fiber washers, you name it I look at McMaster. I know at times you have to buy more than you need, but what is your time worth to chase something down and have it not work. They have over a half a million items.

McMaster-Carr

McMaster ,never heard of them. I'll write them down in my parts note book. Must be like Tacoma fastener out here. Thanks

I'll look that word up and get back with ya.

LOL. Most of the washers you find are very hard. I don't think the originals are. This is like the difference between soft copper tubing (coiled) that you buy at the parts store and the rigid copper water pipe (similar we used in refrigeration.) The difference is whether it's hard or soft, and with copper, it's easy to change. Just heat it to dull red and let it cool. Copper also work hardens, and it doesn't take much to do so. Just bend it a little bit and it's hard LOL

Google it. There's some videos on this very thing.

McMaster ,never heard of them. I'll write them down in my parts note book. Must be like Tacoma fastener out here. Thanks

McMaster-Carr is a gigantic hardware supplier, and has been in business since before you and I were born. I would love to get---even an old---printed catalog of theirs. (Wiki says 1901)

EDIT LMAO. In fact I just bought an old catalog from ebay, no 119 for 24 bucks. 3779 pages!!

McMaster.jpg

Last edited:
I have not yet cut into one of these new copper washers to see if they are copper through and through, or are copper plates steel. Does anyone know?

I have not yet cut into one of these new copper washers to see if they are copper through and through, or are copper plates steel. Does anyone know?

That's a great point, and I bet some are and some are not!!

LOL. Most of the washers you find are very hard. I don't think the originals are. This is like the difference between soft copper tubing (coiled) that you buy at the parts store and the rigid copper water pipe (similar we used in refrigeration.) The difference is whether it's hard or soft, and with copper, it's easy to change. Just heat it to dull red and let it cool. Copper also work hardens, and it doesn't take much to do so. Just bend it a little bit and it's hard LOL

Google it. There's some videos on this very thing.

I'll keep that in mind if the double washer fails. It stopped the weeping on the banjo fitting but now the proportioning valve is leaking at the sending light pin. Had it apart already cleaned it out , new o-ring still seeping. Looked like it had been taken apart before ,sending unit nut is plastic?

I have a whole slue of them. Used to get Mopar washers from O'reillys got so hard to find that the counter guy kept them in the back for me. Now all I can get is the generic
assortment in the packages.

I'll keep that in mind if the double washer fails. It stopped the weeping on the banjo fitting but now the proportioning valve is leaking at the sending light pin. Had it apart already cleaned it out , new o-ring still seeping. Looked like it had been taken apart before ,sending unit nut is plastic?

It's been awhile since I have been into one. I don't believe there is supposed to be fluid "to" the switch, that is, I believe the O rings in the shuttle are supposed to isolate it. So the guts probably need attention.

Is this what you have?

c3tk8.jpg

I do know the local hardware store had to get rid of the old copper fittings since they had a small amout of lead in them and the new ones are way harder, wonder if it is the same with the washers, also noticed that lately.

Ok Took a couple o'reilly washers and sniped them. they look to be all copper but very hard
IMG_20160619_155558306.jpg
IMG_20160619_155642800.jpg
IMG_20160619_155833318.jpg

I wonder if these are a copper alloy being so hard, so it would be interesting to see if indeed annealing would do the trick.

Last edited:
And in the case of copper, it will make it softer (more malleable) . Uh-oh, there's another new word.....!

BTW, some dedicated ammo reloaders anneal their brass cartridges after resizing them 5-10 times to re-soften them, so this is not all that unusual.

And in the case of copper, it will make it softer (more malleable) . Uh-oh, there's another new word.....!

BTW, some dedicated ammo reloaders anneal their brass cartridges after resizing them 5-10 times to re-soften them, so this is not all that unusual.
OK I'm on it.

This outfit appears to be selling the good ones, below is a quote I lifted from one of their customer review comments about said Soft Copper Crush Washers.

"I run an auto repair shop. For the last several years I've had a terrible time with the copper washers leaking that come with rebuilt calipers and new brake hoses (50% leak rate). They just seam too hard. I was searching for a solution with better washers. So far the first eight calipers I've installed with these washers have not leaked. To this point I'm extremely pleased. I think they're a great product! Thank you Pegasus Racing!"

Here is a link to their site:

Soft Copper Crush Washer | Pegasus

-
Back