Water… Distilled? Purified? Hose??

-
Whoops,. Just read further back into thread and inertia's comments about the solids and different minerals is 100% correct. I've seen well water here that turned my blonde hair red within two weeks there was so much damn iron in it....

Hey all,

What water ya been running in your high HP street cars for cooling?

Distilled? Purified??

Talk to me…
Distilled only in cooling systems and batteries. Most any other water contains minerals. Spring time snow melt water will be soft sitting on snow in ditches. As soon as it contacts soil, it starts dissolving minerals in the soil. These minerals then coat the inside of the cooling system or battery plates.
Regarding "just buy premix", OK for street applications but most race facilities frown on antifreeze in the coolant. Antifreezes are generally not exactly enviornmentally friendly, so clean up after a crash, hose failure or engine failure is for them an issue. Many racers use distilled water for the best heat transfer properties, with a bit of water soluable oil as used in machine shops to lubricate the water pump seal. It also prevents corrosion that 100% water promotes.
In a warm climate that never sees freezing temperatures this could be viable. In locations where freezing occurs, this is not recommended. More than a few blocks have been broken when someone has forgotten to drain the water and install coolant in the fall before freezing occurs. A couple of degrees of freezing over night will not likely break a block, but minus 30 will.

Don't use dexcool, it doesn't mix well with others. My PT has had hoat in it for years. Black one gallon jug. Bought from the Chrysler dealer. About $25 a decade ago. Its a peach color. It still looks like new in the plastic overflow tank. The engine is cast iron with an aluminum head.

That chart may be wrong. I saw a new 2015 Chrysler 200 in the showroom and it had purple colored coolant in it. ???
Different manufacturers use different dyes for different formulations. The big thing is to not mix different "flavours" as they do not play well mixed. Put in the same juice it came with. On a complete overhaul where the radiator and heater are flushed aand the cooling cores in the block and heads are cleaned, you could change to one of the newer coolants. Some of these have lower toxicity than the ols green stuff.

I know mosta you folks know this, someone may not - - -

Please lift and cover any containers with coolant.
Animals that ingest coolant die a very cruel, painful death, including blindness, organ failure.
This includes spillage that thirsty birds, and all living creatures need.
Thank-you .

Last edited:
I lost a flat head ford engine block, because I forgot to change over from water to anitfreez in 68, when I came home from the Navy, from Florida. It was brandi new rebuilt 3 wks before with 2 Stromberg 97 carbs, and a nice cam. Wisconsin weather below zero cracked it good. It was in my 49 Merc, lead sled.

Dave

-
Back