water coming out of exhaust manifold bolt

-

berlins

BerlinS
Reaction score
OK, I bought this 360 and the guy I bought it off of says one of the exahust bolts has water coming out of it if you don't tighten it down
really good. I found one posting on this web site that says all small
block mopars will leak water out of the exhaust manifold bolts - is this true? All I remember is that most vehicles you look at have studs sticking out of the heads and you put nuts on to hold the manifold in place. On a
used 318 I bought and on my 273 I have bolts instead of studs. Can anyone clarify this issue?

small block mopars will leak from where the exhaust bolts on as well as if you don't tighten the bolt that hold the powersteering pump, completely normal just tighten them up, also the studs can be removed and normal bolts installed, most came with studs front and rear of the manifold

All bolts should have a thread sealer on them if they go into water passages.
This would cure the problem.
It's what ma mopar did when these cars were new.....
Good luck.
Tom.

Glad to hear that info, was wondering if I had a bad head on the used 360 motor I
just bought. Just seems kinda strange that you would have water coming out of
exhaust manifold bolt holes. I would have freaked if I was trying to install a set of
headers and all of a sudden had water coming out when I removed the old manifolds.

Thats why head studs corrode and snap off in the head. Use Stainless!! If you use studs you can change gaskets w/o having to drain cooling every time.

As green1 said, only the very end exhaust manifold/header bolt/stud holes go into the water passages. This is commonly where you will find studs used. Bolts can be used in all other exhaust manifold/header locations without fear of hitting water.

You need to make sure whatever you use as a bolt sealer is high temp. Since it's right next to the exhaust port, it gets pretty hot. I always use Red Permatex.

Stroker, ya got to gets a different avatar. Ebry times I sees you new one, I tries to reach fo my gun.

-
Back