water hammering

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
my kitchen sink water hammers with only the hot water on. No others do that. and also when I crack the hot water, the pressure drops down to a drizzle and I have to open the valve more to get it going again. Whats going on? I understand there should be a blind vertical pipe full of air above the faucet to dampen the water hammer effect but I got a window above the faucet?

cool, ill check washer as soon as I can turn the supply off.

New problem or happening all along? Could be the temp setting at the hot water heater is set too high allowing steam to form. Or, the thermostat on the side of the water heater may have pooped out. Turn the hot water heater off, let it cool and test for water hammer. This will confirm if its temp related.

I think it has something to do with the washer I installed. Little rubber washer under a screw, how did I F that up?

Sometimes the hard line just needs to be anchored to something.Sometimes it needs to slip on the long end,( the end furthest from the source on a long straight run) so it can grow/shrink, with temp changes.

I believe,the flow reducing with temp is a separate problem. It's probably related to the recent new-washer install. That washer has to fit inside the cup of the screw-plunger, and the screw has to be pretty tight to prevent it from coming loose as the rubber does its thing with temp changes.
The "blind vertical pipe" can be pretty much anywhere on the line, but works best on the high point of the system. Over time,the
pipe has a tendency to waterlog, so the arrester is still the maintenance-free choice.
Good luck.

I would start with checking your pressure regulator, it can cause high pressure that is causing your problem..
They make them just to screw onto your hose fitting.
I had to change mine a few years ago due to the same hammering with hot water pipe.
good luck.

checked the washer and it had come loose or I didnt torque it down, probably the latter. Tightened it and now Im down to just a little hammering at one specific point, I think I got the idea now...thanks. Will look into that inline buffer though.

found my issue, the washer was loose (helped a little) but the friggin CA mandated 2.1gpm or some BS screw on aerator was chuck full of minerals that I couldnt clean out. replaced it with one from the .99 store and no more hammering, as well as much better flow. The volume and pressure was suprising without the aerator, and about 4 seconds of rusty water flowed out at pressure. All is back to normal now. We got some hard water here in Tustin.

-
Back