Water pump and pulley help!

-

dwhip361

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need help with my pulleys. I have a 73 360 that I got from a 76 pickup I bought. The problem is that the water pump pulley is about 1/4 inch to far out. The crank and p/s and alt pulleys all appear to line up, could there be a difference in water pump lengths from a/c to non a/c or is it just the w/p pulley. It's the aluminum w/p and 2 groove w/p pulley. Thanks, any help would be appreciated. Dave

Don't hold me to this but I think that there were 3 different water pumps,Aluminum type one had the machine gun holes around the snout another without.Then the early LA's were cast iron. I think that pulleys changed over the years too.

The aluminum w.p.'s started ~1970. I never heard they differed in where the pulley sits (unlike Chevy long & short ones). The pulleys and belts did vary in many ways, depending on AC, p.s., etc and between years. Search for photos. Google Images pulls up most here. Post photos of your engine if you want more help. V-belts are pretty forgiving, usually allowing up to 1/8" axial misalignment. Don't try that w/ a multi-V serpentine belt on new cars. Some of them constantly throw belts.

Hey guys, I need help with my pulleys. I have a 73 360 that I got from a 76 pickup I bought. The problem is that the water pump pulley is about 1/4 inch to far out. The crank and p/s and alt pulleys all appear to line up, could there be a difference in water pump lengths from a/c to non a/c or is it just the w/p pulley. It's the aluminum w/p and 2 groove w/p pulley. Thanks, any help would be appreciated. Dave

In 70 they went to the aluminum water pump from the cast iron in the 60's. The pulleys are different.

The pulleys are also different with the aluminum water pump with and with out air conditioning. There were two belts to drive the a/c and they also drove the alternator and water pump. So they had a double pulley for the alternator and water pump with A/C.

If you didn't get A/C, then there was a single groove pulley for the water pump and alternator. You have to get the proper pulleys for what you are trying to do.

If you have A/C and P/S, there was a three groove crank pulley. If you have no A/C with P/S, then you need a two groove crank pulley (one for alt-water pump-crank, the other for crank-p/s).

Here are some shots of my son's 360 on the engine stand that we test fit our pulleys on. He has a 71 valiant with a 318. Originally A/C, we are going without A/C, so we changed out the alternator, water pump, and crank pulleys to match.

View attachment Ken 360 041114 Pulley A01 B2.jpg

View attachment Ken 360 041114 Pulley A02 B2.jpg

View attachment Ken 360 041114 Pulley A03 B2.jpg

View attachment 360 Pulleys A01 B2.jpg

View attachment 360 Pulleys A02 B2.jpg

View attachment 360 Pulleys A03 B.jpg

View attachment 360 Pulleys A04 B.jpg

I know it might confuse the 'next guy' who replaces the water pump but could you just press the flange on the water pump shaft back 1/4"? Did this on a straight 6 chevy once and worked great.

I know it might confuse the 'next guy' who replaces the water pump but could you just press the flange on the water pump shaft back 1/4"? Did this on a straight 6 chevy once and worked great.

I would recommend just getting the proper pulley and be done with it.... :D

Lol... I'm not feeling as bad about my messy shop now... thnx

season's best...

Yeah.. Thanks... I think....

It's messier now.... :banghead:

But was clean at one time..... :???:

And that's only my front garage.... I have another in the back.... #-o

-
Back