Water pump difference

-

Tiki bar jim

Reaction score
Morning Mopar People, I'm getting ready to install an after market AC in my V8 64 Valiant & I have to change to water pump to the passenger side intake to accommodate the brackets; is it a direct fit? TIA

If the AC is out of a 64 thru 70?? then it should have been setup for a cast iron water pump with drivers side inlet.

The 71??? And later aluminum water pump uses the passanger side inlet

The pump determines which timing cover is used and which balancer as the timing marks are passanger side for the cast iron years and drivers for aluminum years.

As for AC brackets, that will be dependent on the year they were designed for (AL or CI water pump) regardless of water pump design.

As I understand it the attachment bosses are a different height AL to CI.

You can use whatever T-cover and balancer is currently installed; BUT
you may need to make two new TDC marks wherever is convenient; one on the cover and the other on the balancer. This will now require a dial-back timing light to check the all-in timing. Another option is to install a timing tape, and then you can use a standard timing light.
This is Not a big deal, I've done it a few times.
Depending on your engine specs, you may need a Hi-flow waterpump, and AFAIK know, they only come in the aluminum housing late-style pumps, anyway.

AJ, I'm running a Flowcooler High Flow water pump currently; all the brackets kits say I have to have passenger side intake; I'm trying to avoid changing the pump as I just put on last year.
Do you know of a compressor bracket that I could to use. Timing tape is a good idea.
Thanks

When I tried to put a late model water pump on my 66 I ran into clearance issues between the fan and radiator.

Other changes that will probably need to be made is: The length of the water pump and bracket bolts may be different, The bypass hose diameter is different, so it will need fitting changes to adapt, and the pulley uses a different offset for belt alignment.

-
Back