Water pump hose connectors

-

markfh

Reaction score
What's the best way to remove the hose connectors in my water pump?

20160927_191024_001.jpg

When they are that rusted heat sometimes works. Get a candle and when the area is hot melt some wax into the joint. Sometimes it will wick down into the threads and help to loosen things up.

PB Blaster, vise grips, heat - repeat until loose - - sometimes helps to actually attempt to tighten them a hair too

I'll have to try that wax trick! I would try PB Blaster too. Definitely gonna need heat for sure.

Got a good Rigid brand 12 inch pipe wrench ? A pipe wrench proper placed makes a 3 point contact which is less likely to distort a fitting. In this case you would want to get only 2 points ( shallow bite ). Crush the fitting to remove and replace. I most add that this aint so easily done under the hood. You'll need to put a pinch bar behind the pipe wrench and get fulcrum force from the water pump.
The water pump in a vise lets you employ a larger pipe wrench or put a pipe handle extension on the little pipe wrench.

Try inserting a short bolt that fits the ID of the fitting. It'll help keep the fitting from crushing if you try to use vise grips or a pipe wrench.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will use most if not all of them. I will let all y'all know the outcome.

Pipe wrenches often crush the sides in, which appears to have happened to one pipe. Yours look quite rust-free, so shouldn't be impossible. Let penetrant soak for a day. Work back & forth to help flush the rust out. Rapping on the end of the pipe also helps hydro-shock the rust out once penetrant has seeped in. Many people swear by heat, but might need to get it almost red hot to help.

Use mapp gas in your bernsomatic torch. A bit hotter than propane. Heat, pb blaster and repeat. The coolness of the pb blaster shrinks the metal slightly allowing the oil to penetrate. Also stick a solid rod in the hole before clamping it with a pipe wrench to prevent it getting crushed.

Use mapp gas in your bernsomatic torch. A bit hotter than propane. Heat, pb blaster and repeat. The coolness of the pb blaster shrinks the metal slightly allowing the oil to penetrate. Also stick a solid rod in the hole before clamping it with a pipe wrench to prevent it getting crushed.
that solid rod or bolt sounds like a good idea !

Before you apply a pipe wrench find a piece of rod that fits the ID. It will limit the collapse of the tube.

-
Back