water pump radiator problem

-

jefflock

69 Dart 408 10.08 best pass so far
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I purchased a radiator for 68 Dart GTS. My motor is a 70 340. The water pump exits on the pass side and radiator hook up is on the drivers side. Can you install a 68 water pump on a 70 motor? Thanks Jeff

you need the other style timing cover that has the timing tab bolted to, not cast into, the timing cover. otherwise you can't time it.

You could take the the radiator to a local radiator shop and have them change it over to the passenger side to match the water pump. Someone else on this site mention this and said it only cost them about 50 bucks.

I have a 69 340 with the stamped timing tab and I have the timing tab from my 273 on there just in case I have issues. The Milodon water pump I got does not seem to get in the way of the driver's side timing cover tab on my 69 340. There may be some good info on this posting 273 to 340 swap

Here's the Milodon pump from Summit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MIL-16251&N=700+0&autoview=sku

attachment.php?attachmentid=5544&stc=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=5802&stc=1.jpg

My engine with the tab. I have all the brackets from my 273 on the 340

attachment.php?attachmentid=5798&stc=1.jpg

Although, the cheaper route is to get your radiator switched it seems.

I have the later style cover and balancer and the early pump.I can just barely see the t marks but I can.The major problem is the pulleys you have to get the early style to match the pump .March sells them

I'm the one who had mine done for fifty bucks Canadian. It was a cheaper way to go for me then changing out a pump. They did a "excellent job" and of course you also get it presure tested at the same time. That's something you won't have to worry about down the road. As a added idea, if you decide to go this way is that the rad shops for extra $$ will get the rad top plated if you want a nicer finish.

i think that pickup waterpumps are opposite cars. try a w.p. for a truck

-
Back