Wayne the Ram Man - A warning

-

ab7fh

Reaction score
I purchased a rebuilt master cylinder from Wayne "The Ram Man" at Mopars at the Strip in March.

I bench bled it, installed it, and the system wouldn't hold pressure. Pulled it out, bench bled it again, and same deal. I put another master in the system and the system holds pressure with no problem.

I tried contacting Wayne for a week. Spoke to his wife who every time told me Wayne would get right back to me. He never called and emails were never replied to.

Into the 2nd or 3rd week I finally got a hold of Wayne on the phone. He was very apologetic and told me to send him the M/C and he would take care of it ASAP and do a quick turn around, with shipping at his cost. I was very pleased to hear that.

The M/C was sent to him 2nd day air. The tracking # shows it was delivered on April 12. It's now 12 days later and nothing. Again I called and left a message and sent an email. No reply to either.

Right now I am out $140 PLUS the part itself.

BEWARE!!!!!

Why would you ship it second day air?

From Vegas to Ft. Worth shows to be a two day shipment using Priority Mail with a cost of $12.35 if you don't buy online. Mailed today it shows to arrive on Fri, Apr 26.

Why would you ship it second day air?

From Vegas to Ft. Worth shows to be a two day shipment using Priority Mail with a cost of $12.35 if you don't buy online. Mailed today it shows to arrive on Fri, Apr 26.

I think you are missing the point here :scratch:

I think you are missing the point here :scratch:

"with shipping at his cost."

"Right now I am out $140 PLUS the part itself."

This may be a major part of the issue is why I mentioned it.

He should have gotten back to you before now.

Are there other shows that he could be traveling to during the Vegas run and possible he hasn't gotten back yet? He might even be on a different run now. Vendors that travel the circut aren't home much this time of the year.

regardless of how it was shipped , if he got it on the 12th , its completely wrong for him not to at least reply back to you. communication is everything

If you wnat it done right, just do it yourself. For that kind of money, you could have taken your time and put a nice M/C together, and probably be ahead.

If you wnat it done right, just do it yourself. For that kind of money, you could have taken your time and put a nice M/C together, and probably be ahead.

I didn't have a core to start with. This is a for a manual disc brake conversion on a '60 Dart. This 4 bolt M/C I bought from him isn't readily available.

Once I purchased the M/C from him I felt it was up to him to make it good, not for me to rebuild.

Man, that sucks. It sounds as if he makes the rounds at shows. Chances are you will bump into him at some point. I pity the fool! I used to have a Triumph Spitfire. I bought a used part I found on car-part.com and had Brake and Equipment rebuild it for me. All for less than $100. Maybe you can find a beat up one and get it resleeved locally? I can't help you with what already went down, but I can help you find another.

Is this a rare master cylinder that you couldn't buy through your local part stores ?
I've had a few master cylinders die during bench bleeding. Its not unheard of. We can/do take it to places it would never go in normal operation.
Good luck in any case.

Is this a rare master cylinder that you couldn't buy through your local part stores ?

It's a small bore 4 bolt master for manual disc brakes. It's for a disc brake conversion on a '60 Dart.

My challengers m/c is a 1 year only. Wayne had it, date coded, and we did the deal. Had to send it back to Wayne and guess what,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
he repaired it, sent it back and sent me a shipping refund plus more.
I don't have a problem recommending Wayne, but he can be hard to get a hold of. I never felt I was being taken. His better half always kept me up to date. Wayne does have communication skills. I suspect this will work out for you. I would be disappointed if it didn't.

He agreed to take care of it and pay the shipping so you show your gratitude by incurring the cost of 2nd day air freight? Nice.

He agreed to take care of it and pay the shipping so you show your gratitude by incurring the cost of 2nd day air freight? Nice.

I paid to ship to HIM. I offered to pay to ship it back to ME. He had to pay NOTHING for shipping.

. I never felt I was being taken. His better half always kept me up to date.

Things have changed. His wife kept telling me when he would call, he never did. I must have spoken to her a half dozen times, each time she made it sound like he would be getting "right back to me" since that's what she said!!

Worst part is he gives out business cards with his wifes phone number. So he's not even getting "hassled" she is... She makes promises for him that he just doesn't live up to.

Yes, I feel like I have been taken at this point in the game. What else can I think?? MATS was a month ago. He received my M/C two weeks ago... yet NO communications.

From Moparts:

I was also a victim of the RamMan. It was a very disappointing experience. Spent $900 with him for a disc brake conversion for my son's 65 Coronet. I live in the DFW area so I did my business in person with him, but this is a big area and he's almost 40 miles from me. He was very nice on the initial purchase, but when we had problems he became not so nice.

First problem is he gave me the wrong parts. I wanted to use the 11.75 rotors and he mistakenly gave me the caliper brackets for the smaller ones. So we had to make a second 80 mile round trip to swap them out. That's fine, everyone makes mistakes, I wasn't upset about it.

Then came the bad part. We bought a power brake setup, including the booster. The booster and M/C came bolted together and he said it was ready to bolt on. So we went to bench bleed the M/C and I could not get any piston movement from the M/C. We pumped and pumped and got nothing. I took the booster and M/C apart and found that he had forgotten to put in the brake rod that goes from the booster to the M/C!

So I call him and tell him what happened. He tells me that's NEVER happened before, kinda sounding like he doesn't believe me. But the does say that he's going out of town to a show and he'll leave one on his porch for me. I was not looking forward to wasting most of another Saturday driving down there and back (I can only do it on the weekend because of work). This was a Wednesday and I asked if he would mail it. He reluctantly agreed, but then I started thinking it wouldn't get here by Saturday and we really couldn't continue without it anyway.

Anyway, I guess I wasn't making my mind up fast enough and he told me he was getting ready to go and didn't have time to waste on me making up my mind. It was only a few seconds, by the way. So that made me mad and I told him that this wasn't my fault and I didn't appreciate him talking to me that way. Then he hung up on me. I tried to call him back but he wouldn't answer. So I emailed him and asked if he was still going to leave the rod on his porch as I didn't want to drive down there for nothing. He never answered me. It was very unprofessional to say the least.

I decided I had had enough of him and I'd just chalk it up to experience and solve the problem myself. I found a rod at Wildcat Salvage in Oregon for $35. Unfortunately when I got it I found it was too long. Guess it was for a different year. I had made one by using some steel rod and rounding off one end that I intended to use only temporarily. As most of you probably know, those rods have a washer on them. I'm not sure of it's function but I figured there's a reason for it to be there. But I figured my custom rod would work for bleeding and testing the brakes.

After I got it all set up and bled, we drove around the neighborhood slowly. The brakes were not right. You had to practically stand on them with both feet to get the car to stop, even with the power setup. The brakes were not mushy at all, so I know they were completely bled. But it took so much pedal pressure it was unsafe.

So by this point I was so disgusted I ordered a Raybestos 15/16 bore M/C from RockAuto and put that on without the booster. It worked great! In Ehrenberg's article he says you don't really need power brakes and he is right.

So we're going to stay with the manual setup. I don't know if this booster is bad, if the M/C is bad, or both. We spent $900 with Wayne for a set of calipers/pads, spindles/bearings and caliper brackets. Plus $35 for a brake rod I can't use and $40 more for the Raybestos manual M/C. I know there are a lot of people in the Mopar community that like him, but my experience was not good. Plus, I didn't go through it all because it would take too long, but there were many times throughout this fiasco that I could not get Wayne on the phone or get him to respond to my emails for days, similar to what ab7fh is going through now.

I have two more Mopars to restore and I will be going with another option for the brakes.

It's basically been 9 business days since he has gotten it. Give him a few days to work on it. Never know someone else might have had an ASAP order before yours! That being said I think your thread is a bit premature.

The guy could at least acknowledge the fact that he received it. A quick email only interrupts your day for 30 seconds.

Communication is EVERYTHING. I'd be pissed too.

The guy could at least acknowledge the fact that he received it. A quick email only interrupts your day for 30 seconds.

Important to note is that his wife is the one who seems to handle all the phone calls. All he has to do is tell her what's up and she can pass the message on. Trouble is she takes messages for him, promises call backs within a certain time frame, and he never responds... He's obviously not using his partner effectively.

I spoke with Wayne at the mopar nats in ohio a few years back. I was asking a few questions reguarding his products. He acted as if I was keeping him from something more important so I went and found another vendor that was interested in my business. Could of been a bad day I suppose. A little courtesy goes a long way when a working man is spending his hard earned money on parts for his hobby. I extent more courtesy to people I sell to on ebay than what i've read about on here today.

Important to note is that his wife is the one who seems to handle all the phone calls. All he has to do is tell her what's up and she can pass the message on. Trouble is she takes messages for him, promises call backs within a certain time frame, and he never responds... He's obviously not using his partner effectively.

Either way it's a raw deal from the no communication aspect. I understand life gets hectic but there is no excuse for not, at the very least, sending an email.

regardless of how it was shipped , if he got it on the 12th , its completely wrong for him not to at least reply back to you. communication is everything

Communication is EVERYTHING. I'd be pissed too.

Either way it's a raw deal from the no communication aspect. I understand life gets hectic but there is no excuse for not, at the very least, sending an email.
exactly I can someone an Email in 30 seconds, no matter how busy I get

Take a minute at the end of the day before you go to bed and answer e mails or messages that your wife has taken for you.

-
Back