We all grew up hearing this.

-

Mark Wainwright

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
244471070_5278588048869884_1044257216953578716_n.jpg

Heard’em all.
What’s for supper? Fried farts and egg shells.
When we going to get there? When we get there and not a moment sooner.
Grampa: see that dog used to have two tails. Kid: come on grampa. Grampa: Ya can’t you see the scar where the other one used to be. Probably come up with hundreds more

My mom says "little pitchers have big ears" all the time I never knew what it ment till I had kids haha

My mom says "little pitchers have big ears" all the time I never knew what it ment till I had kids haha

i grew up hearing that one in Dutch and ive since shared it with my wife (we speak english to each other)
well the other day were driving and me and the wife are talking together and our little girl in the back hears it and butts in

so my wife said it in Dutch (kleine potjes hebben grote oren) and the baby goes
"i am not a potty, my potty is upstairs"

i grew up hearing that one in Dutch and ive since shared it with my wife (we speak english to each other)
well the other day were driving and me and the wife are talking together and our little girl in the back hears it and butts in

so my wife said it in Dutch (kleine potjes hebben grote oren) and the baby goes
"i am not a potty, my potty is upstairs"
I did not know that you where Dutch. Where are you from originally?

I did not know that you where Dutch. Where are you from originally?
Northern Brabant, second most Southern part of the country

(If you have any affiliation to the USAF, there is a combined US/Dutch airforce base there)

I was born an raised there and lived there until I moved to the US at 21

Since all my family still lives there, I'm teaching all my kids Dutch

Northern Brabant, second most Southern part of the country

(If you have any affiliation to the USAF, there is a combined US/Dutch airforce base there)

I was born an raised there and lived there until I moved to the US at 21

Since all my family still lives there, I'm teaching all my kids Dutch
That is really cool I never knew that. I always knew you were a little off dang foreigner! Haha just kidding. But seriously that is really cool

(kleine potjes hebben grote oren)
I understand every word, on account of how close that is to my first language; Low German. Except for "potjes"; I have never heard a proper Low-German word for baby. I wouldn't know how to write it but phonetically it might look something like;
kleina kinder/chinga habbin grouta/grousa uren/ouren.

I understand every word, on account of how close that is to my first language; Low German. Except for "potjes"; I have never heard a proper Low-German word for baby. I wouldn't know how to write it but phonetically it might look something like;
kleina kinder/chinga habbin grouta/grousa uren/ouren.

you know, im not sure there is a proper Dutch word for baby either, we just call em "babie"

the word "potjes" isnt literal for children (and wouldnt be used for it)

it is original referring to cooking pots and the ears are the handles
(the double meaning of the word "ear" doesnt translate into english)

but Dutch (especially the Dutch i grew up with) and German are very closely related so it made sence you recognized it

That is really cool I never knew that. I always knew you were a little off dang foreigner! Haha just kidding. But seriously that is really cool
i've mentioned it from time to time but its not surprised you never noticed it

last sunday we were at church (and you got to know, we are Baptists and believe the Bible is against the consumption of alcohol...not that i mind if anyone else drinks, but it is important for the story)
so we were hanging out after service fellowshipping and we got to talking to this young couple who were new and we hadnt met before
my preacher was bragging on my being Dutch and the new girl (who had heard me speak for a few minutes now) said "really, you dont have a brogue at all"
to which i replied "it only comes out when i drink"

you should have seen the look on my preachers face, he didnt know how fast he had to explain i was just kidding

it is original referring to cooking pots and the ears are the handles
Oh well that makes perfect sense to me cuz we also have the same word for a small pot, but phonetically the j is a y, so "potjes" becomes potyis. And of course now the double meaning of "oren" makes sense; I get it. Very cool.

-
Back